1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

changing place of feeder will it change eating habit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by motherhen, Jul 18, 2007.

1. motherhen

motherhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Halifax, NS
    I made a hanging feeder and hung it in the coop in the spring. Now its summer I thought it was nicer for the chickens to eat outside so I hung a small container outside. Now I find that they won't go to the coop feeder as often. I just don't want a large feeder out in the run. I am worried weather they are eating when the smaller feeder is empty. Does anyone else have problems with feeder preference?

2. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    I only have 1 large range feeder in the coop. I don't want to attract other critters by having any food outside. I put a waterer outside the coop in the enclosed pen and they empty the outside watererer quicker than the inside waterer (both are 1 gallon waterers). I've noticed that the more time they spend outside the coop, the less food they eat from the feeder that's inside the coop. I guess they would rather scratch the ground and catch bugs. As long as they look healthy and are well-hydrated I wouldn't worry about them not eating. If they're hungry enough they'll find the inside feeder-just make sure to keep it full so it's ready when they are. Good luck.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I agree with Joanc-I only give treats outside of the coop. I keep the large feeder filled. My chickens mostly stay outside free ranging during the day but I do see them go in and eat inside the coop during the daytime. They also eat in the evening right around 5 or so then come back outside until dusk. I only keep extra waterers around the yard.

4. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i change mine all the time.

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a small feeder up by our porch for when they are free ranging and still want feed. I've moved it gads of times b/c the darn deer eat it at night. The chickens manage to find it and every time, no problems.

6. motherhen

motherhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Halifax, NS
    Thanks for the feed back. My chickens look healthy and I guess I just worry to much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by