Changing temps for chicks

breezmist

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Benton tn
Hi y'all! I have a brood of 21 chicks that are 3 weeks old. I kept the heat lamps on and slowly over the last couple weeks raised them and cut one off. Now I just have a lamp high above them. The thermomitor has fluctuated in temps and now they're at about 71 degrees (wow it's hard to control that temp!) I plan to prepare them for a week in the coop and then open them to the run. Should I allow the temps to lower more? We may have more cool nights in April. They will be 5 weeks when I put them out

With 21 of them, they'll be able to snuggle in a nice raft at night and keep each other warm. As long as they have feathers on their heads, they are ready.

Thank you all! Most have feathers and are starting to show some in the head. I think after this coming week they'll be ready for the coop. Do y'all keep a light on in cool weather (when they're grown) every year or will they eventually be fine without one? I'm asking because I grew up with chickens but my gramps had a huge coop and always had light. My precious coop had lighting but my new one doesn't (yet)

I'm using a 40W bulb on a timer for extending the light hours but have never heated after the chicks were feathered.

I am in Ohio where a cold snap can give us a week of temps in the single digits during the day and below zero at night. I have never used light or supplemental heat and have never lost a bird to extreme cold.
That said, I do have a couple roosters with frostbitten combs.
I did put a heat lamp in the egg room to slow the freezing and cracking of my eggs (lost about 20 dozen this year) but not one chicken used it.

Back
Top Bottom