Changing the ordinance in Maple Grove, Minnesota

JocelynerinNP

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
Maple Grove, MN, USA
Anyone here from Maple Grove MN? Myself and several others are working with the City Council on reviewing the backyard chicken ordinance (and hopefully they will vote to change it). Currently they only allow chickens on an acre or more. Most of the surrounding cities near us allow backyard chickens.

Any fellow Minnesotans nearby with any advice for us?

The Zoning and Planning committee plan to "research" over the summer and hopefully do a work session later this summer or fall. I have given them info from the Twin Cities Coyote and Fox Project (on info on how chickens wouldn't increase the coyote population unless they are eating chickens). We also plan to reach out to the U of MN extension office.

Thanks for any insight!

Anyone here from Maple Grove MN? Myself and several others are working with the City Council on reviewing the backyard chicken ordinance (and hopefully they will vote to change it). Currently they only allow chickens on an acre or more. Most of the surrounding cities near us allow backyard chickens.

Any fellow Minnesotans nearby with any advice for us?

The Zoning and Planning committee plan to "research" over the summer and hopefully do a work session later this summer or fall. I have given them info from the Twin Cities Coyote and Fox Project (on info on how chickens wouldn't increase the coyote population unless they are eating chickens). We also plan to reach out to the U of MN extension office.

Thanks for any insight!
I am not in your area. However, if I were faced with a similar dilemma, I would obtain the ordinance from the surrounding communities that have more realistic rules pertaining to chicken ownership and provide your Council with that information as well.
Best of luck getting the ordinance changed!

I'm in Maple Grove and just found this post doing to search about chickens in Maple Grove, I really would like to have chickens, but I don't have a full acre. I hope you are able to get the laws changed!

We are in maple Grove and just got a witen warning last night stating we have 10 days to get rid of our 4 chickens we have and sor over a year with out issue.

We are in maple Grove and just got a witen warning last night stating we have 10 days to get rid of our 4 chickens we have and sor over a year with out issue.
Which is sort of like getting a speeding ticket and mentioning that you do 70 every day in the 45 zone, as if the ticket is somehow unfair in that you don't have more of them...

As @DobieLover said, search local towns and counties of similar size and character for their own ordinances to use as comparison/reference. Talk with realtors about whether backyard poultry is an issue for local buyers (positive or negative). Be ready for the common objection that backyard poultry will negatively impact property values (and thus tax revenue), which is why other homeowners and municipalities often team up to crush grassroots efforts to promote small flock ownership.

Pull the local newspapers and keyword search for chicken, poultry, etc to find coverage. Highlight and share the positives with the Counsel. Prepare to address the negatives if asked. Or offer some up and suggest ways they can be avoided/addressed/mitigated to portray yourself as an honest broker. Go national and gather up positive articles on food supply constraints/disruptions, draw parallels to the Victory Gardens of WWII, talk about the farm to market movement and opportunities for business growth, etc.

Basically, its a combined PR push and legislative legwork. The easier it is for them, the more likely they will say yes to change.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that. I know someone else who got warned and had to move her chickens. We currently are waiting from the zoning committee to see when they will set the date for a work session. You can join the Maple Grove backyard chickens group or feel free to message me and I can give you my email if you want to be involved in our efforts.

It went badly. The whole council and mayor were opposed. The planning committee only presented on what other cities are doing for backyard chickens. They did allow us to speak but the council was still unconvinced. I gave them info from the Twin Cities coyote and fox project on how the experts say chickens wouldn't increase predators like foxes unless they are eating chickens but the council still said we have too many foxes/coyotes already. They said too the "majority" of Maple Grove residents don't want chickens. They also said they are too loud, in spite of me providing research showing they are quieter than dogs. There may be a generational divide as all those that were opposed and the council were older and those for were younger. Disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom