Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Has anyone else had trouble with the buffs from Ideal? Two years ago I got a bunch of buffs. Every one of them had a large pea comb. They weren't hardy at all. The males were abusive and cannibalistic. Their body type was more like buff Cornish. In other words they did not match the description for a Chantecler very well. All of them went to the freezer. I'm thinking I had bad luck and got a bad batch since others say they were up to standard.

I've scrapped the buff. Did anyone else know that the partridge are not "technically" Chanteclers at all? I've always read that they were developed as a color variation of the breed, I guess that is not the whole story. The partridge were once a totally separate and unrelated breed called the "Albertan". The APA changed the name of the Albertan to the Partridge Chantecler and that is how they became known as Chanteclers.

I was a little disappointed because I was inspired to preserve the historical Chantecler and since the other Chanteclers are not technically linked to the first Chanteclers I will be replacing the buff with the original white. Now I understand why the whites are so rare, they are the only strain going back to the original Chanteclers.

Hi All,
Is anyone with Chanteclers willing to sell some hatching eggs in the next few months? My brother lives in Northern Idaho and is building himself an incubator, and wants to try the breed. I promised him I would poke around on BYC to see if there were any breeders willing to sell to him.
Thanks,
-Z

With the pictures and information on this thread, I couldn't resist. My first Chanteclers are being shipped out (hopefully) tomorrow. Partridges from John Blehm, I can't wait to see them!

I think you got their Buff Cornish instead of Chantecler. My Buff Chantecler are a bit small, but otherwise good. No pea combs, all cushion.

The Partridge are Chanteclers, just a different creation. Like the Buffs and Reds. The Barred Rocks and Buff Rocks are from different breedings, but both are Plymouth Rocks. It is type, not history that makes a breed.

The Albertans were in type, a Chantecler. Thus are Chanteclers and not Albertans.

However, the whites are in need of help as well. I know of several who have the whites are are pleased. I am wanting a few eggs to hatch so i can work to preserve the whites as well.

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I'm still trying to figure this all out. So, a breed does not need to be related in anyway either genetically or by intent as long as they are similar in type? I'm so confused. For example: why are Australorps a different breed than an Orpington?

If the breed description is based on the foundation of a breed, how do you know that the variety of the breed you are about to buy has all the same traits if they are unrelated to the bird that the description was written for? I am thoroughly confused.

Mom and Dad
IMG_5235.jpg

There Off spring at 1 weekold
IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_5247.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I'm still trying to figure this all out. So, a breed does not need to be related in anyway either genetically or by intent as long as they are similar in type? I'm so confused. For example: why are Australorps a different breed than an Orpington?

If the breed description is based on the foundation of a breed, how do you know that the variety of the breed you are about to buy has all the same traits if they are unrelated to the bird that the description was written for? I am thoroughly confused.

The Australorps were Black Orpingtons that went to Australia. The phenotype was changed to the point that when they returned they were of a different type than the Orpingtons. In poultry we do not DNA. It is different than other species like dogs and cattle. We are looking at the type. When birds are similiar in body type and use they become a breed. There are the purist that believe only the Whites are Chanteclers. They have a valid point; however, the American Poultry Association determined that the Albertan was so close in type etc to the Chantecler that it was indeed a Chantecler of a different color. The Buff Chantecler was created using the same breeds, just different color than the White and the Partridge. The Red was a creation of crossing the Partridge and Buff. As long as we use the same breeds to create new colors and they are of the same type as the Whites, they can be entered in the Standard as a Chantecler.

I am currently using a Buckeye Bantam, RC Buff Leghorn Bantam and Buff Wyandotte Bantam to create a Buff Chantecler Bantam. Possibly also a Red Chantecler Bantam. We have the first eggs in the incubator. If the type is correct these will be Chantecler bantams.

I'm going to put up an auction for some "test" eggs from my buff flock, if anyone is interested. I put some eggs in the incubator last week and they're developing nicely.
thumbsup.gif
I do have a partridge hen in the pen, so there's a possibility of hatching red Chantecler, too.
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

I am currently using a Buckeye Bantam, RC Buff Leghorn Bantam and Buff Wyandotte Bantam to create a Buff Chantecler Bantam. Possibly also a Red Chantecler Bantam. We have the first eggs in the incubator. If the type is correct these will be Chantecler bantams.

thumbsup.gif
Keep us updated
smile.png

Our Buff Chanteclers are nice in type and color, but lack on size. This spring we have added two new components. A Partridge X Buff Chantecler Pullet (pictured) from Red Stag Acres (WI). And a commercial quality, Buff Orpington male (pictured). This male is poor on type, but is very tight feathered and has good size. We are hoping for an improvement in the size of the offspring. Next year we will mate these to pure Buff Chantecler and cull very heavy. Our pure Buffs photo was taken when they were much younger.

These are very gentle and easy to handle. Their color and type are excellent. We have checked the fertility and have some due to hatch soon.

The pictured eggs are Buff Chantecler eggs on the left and store bought eggs on the right. These are large, medium brown eggs.

Our incubator is full, so we have placed a listing on eBay for the extras, if anyone is interested.

47716_1_buff_chantecler_improvement_project_hatching_eggs.jpg

Partridge X Buff Chantecler Pullet (pictured) from Red Stag Acres (WI)
47716_2_buff_x_patridge_chantecler_pullet.jpg

47716_3_buff_chantecler_pullets.jpg

47716_4_buff_cockerel_chantecler_improvement_project.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom