Chantecler Thread!

Pics

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
i'm looking for good breeds, and i want to see some chantecler, they can be any color even know i want partridge, but you can't get every thing you want. i'd also like some info about them.

Last edited:
These Partridge Chanteclers are less than a week old.
13544_pchant1.jpg

13544_pchant2.jpg

13544_pchant3.jpg

13544_pchant4.jpg

Chickenbike: At what age can you tell the pullets from the cockerels? And, what are the things you look for to determine sex?

Chanteclers look like little and big leopards the hens have good colouring. Chanteclers are a breed from Canada,they were developed to be good meat and egg laying birds. At the moment they are classified as Heritage breed.

The Canadians oringally developed the white variety of this breed in the early 1900's by crossing Dark Cornish, White Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, White Wyandotte and White Plymouth Rock birds. In the 1930's they developed partridge variety by crossing Partridge Wynadottes, Partridge Cochin, Dark Cornish and Rose comb Brown Leghorns birds. For both varieties, breeders were seeking a general purpose birds that would lay through much of the cold Canadian Winter. They bred for small combs, wattles and earlobes, and for plumadge that lies tightly aganist the body but has a high percentage of fluff. The breed is quite gentle but somewhat high-strung and a bit edgy in confiment, though it will lay fairly well when confined. Hens particulary the two and three year olds, will frequently go broody. The Chantecler was admitted to the APA in 1921.

They come in colours of Partridge and white.

Back
Top Bottom