Chantecler Thread!

WOW!!! Tara, what a work you have done.

I ubderstand, wel, not a lot about geneitc here. Considernig that you worked hard to have a certain kind of red, there is no way at all to have it breed threw? So that is why I will ask the next question. I always taught that the Buckeye looked a lot like a red Chantie (if we have had a red Chantie)...same body type (almost).. So how would it be possible to have a red that breed threw? By introducing another breed like an RIR In the Genetic?

Don't laugh please...rmemeber that I am 0+0 in genetics :p

isabelle

WOW!!! Tara, what a work you have done.

Don't laugh please...rmemeber that I am 0+0 in genetics :p

isabelle
I am with Isabelle on this. I have missed seeing your posts on the Chantecler, Tara....Wonderful stuff!

I get mixed up trying to figure out the genetics and your pictures really help since I tend to be a visual learner,

Thanks so much!
clap.gif

Thank you for posting Isabelle. My late mother law, a wonderful woman, was your namesake. Any breed or variety of chicken is just the sum of its' component genetic parts. As affected by environmental factors of course. It is possible to have any true breeding variety in any breed; it just takes someone with enough staying power, dedication, and knowledge to accomplish the task. In these days of high feed costs and low return for the many culls produced in the process, not many are willing to undertake a task of the magnitude needed to develop a sustainable new strain. Tara has beautiful facilities and a cooperative husband and the means to finish the job. She has a great start if she chooses to finish what is started. The temptation is always to keep too many different projects going. I have found myself in that place too.

Quote: Well, I guess that helps A LOT!
tongue.png

Somebody told me once to find a nice RIR and breed it with a Chantecler roo that I could be able after a couple of generation to have a Red Chantie...I guess this is too easy hey?

Thank you Chantecler7 for the nice compliment (well, I guess it is a compliment hahaha!)

I have Tara document about the comb and wattle...very nice done. I didn't kow she had a site I will lokk for that.

Isabelle

Well, I guess that helps A LOT!
tongue.png

Somebody told me once to find a nice RIR and breed it with a Chantecler roo that I could be able after a couple of generation to have a Red Chantie...I guess this is too easy hey?

Thank you Chantecler7 for the nice compliment (well, I guess it is a compliment hahaha!)

I have Tara document about the comb and wattle...very nice done. I didn't kow she had a site I will lokk for that.

Isabelle
you'd have to cull the genes out and basically start anew with outbreeding the ones you dont need.
it would definitely not be that easy.

I just love my birds and get great pleasure watching them be chickens...I plan to keep my two pure lines of Whites and Partridge but I do enjoy my farm flock of mutts too. I think I have a bunch of barred Chanties in the mutt flock so I am going to keep playing with them just for fun.

I just love my birds and get great pleasure watching them be chickens...I plan to keep my two pure lines of Whites and Partridge but I do enjoy my farm flock of mutts too. I think I have a bunch of barred Chanties in the mutt flock so I am going to keep playing with them just for fun.

MUTT?????

Does that mean mixte?

Isabelle

Well, despite the post offices best efforts, I set 19 really nice sized Chantecler eggs 9 days ago and 13 of them are developing. There were some whonky air cells due to rough handling, so even if half of those hatch, I will be happy. And have my first Chanteclers.

Back
Top Bottom