Chantecler Thread!

Pics
We grow um big here in Canada.............They have to bulk up to handle the winters....lol.....

But on a serious note, any show i have taken my birds to , i find the hens very under weight according to the standard. Ours are at the top end of Standard weight which in my opinion gets them noticed when going up against smaller birds. Not to say i breed for size alone, but I do make sure my breeding hens are the biggest and best type of the bunch before throwing a rooster on them. I keep the smaller ones for egg laying or for the freezer. Remember the Chanty is a good DUAL purpose bird.

Got my red chantecler girl from Ideal. I love her. She's an AWESOME layer. I know her color is pretty off, but I still love her.

12583_img_3271_copy.jpg

Lovely Girl, Chicken Whisperer,

You said she's an awesome layer. Tell me more.

She may not be the right color of red, but she is very pretty. Exactly what shade of red are we looking for in the red Chanties? They aren't recognized SOP but it might be worth trying to set a ballpark value. Should they be red dark like the RIRs, lighter like the NHs, or somewhere inbetween? I think this pullet is a nice color, excluding the nonuniformity.

Quote:
Not to me
hide.gif

LOL, ok, I guess they look about as Cornish as they do Chantecler, but it would be just as easy to make BLR and Blue Chanteclers with them as it would be BLR or Blue Cornish.

I really like the old pictures of Chanteclers that show the heavy Cornish influence. These were originally a very WIDE, stocky, heavy bird from what I understand. My Buff Chantecler looked quite a bit like a more refined and much fluffier Cornish.

Quote:
Not to me
hide.gif

LOL, ok, I guess they look about as Cornish as they do Chantecler, but it would be just as easy to make BLR and Blue Chanteclers with them as it would be BLR or Blue Cornish.

I really like the old pictures of Chanteclers that show the heavy Cornish influence. These were originally a very WIDE, stocky, heavy bird from what I understand. My Buff Chantecler looked quite a bit like a more refined and much fluffier Cornish.

umm Blacks & Blues are Quebec (as fair as i know. ) i don't think any new colours of Chanteclers well be accepted for a bit. I plan on working on a project if i can get my hands on good Partridges. That is the only stock i need for the project i have the rest.

Back
Top Bottom