Chantecler Thread!

Pics
I would take it off your hands if i wasn't a 2 day drive away.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yup, your Partridge sound just like my buff. I have several that are, well, runts. One of the runts looked like it was getting a bit run over so I put "her" in with a few Penedesenca chicks that are a bit younger. When I feed or water all the Penedesenca run to the back of the brooder, the one Chantecler just looks at them like their crazy and comes out for a look about.

I'm sure I should cull the little runts but they are absolutely adorable and look and act normal except for their size. Actually the second smallest one is the most outgoing of the group. The first one to try and push the door open, flap out, jump for my shoulders and generally get into trouble.

I think I may have discovered why my Chanteclers are such hooligans. My twenty-five straight run consists of twenty roosters, and five pullets
ep.gif
All well, looks like I am having more chicken for dinner then I expected. The boys sure are growing huge.
One of the pullets
23433_p4263522.jpg

i recently got some eggs for partridge variety, but they were more on the white side then i expected, or is that normal?
Thanks
Sib

Quote:
If the eggs were more on the white side...I don't think that's normal. At least the ones I had didn't lay anything near a white-ish-kindof egg.
hmm.png
Do you know where the breeding stock (that produced your eggs) came from? That might help explain.

Last edited:
it doesnt look like i will end up with a bumper hatch at anyrate, there are alot of no grows in there! i have 3 due to hatch in a week from a different person, darker brown, and i have the ones i posted a picture of, on sunday i will candle and toss. i did see some growing, but more were clear. somehow one is a triple yolker i think... wouldn't you know its one of the few that are fertile well 2 of the 3! Not that i expect to see it hatch.
Thanks
Sib

Quote:
I love this color I hope she stays the same too......... all are beautiful birds and I may get me some next year to replace my freezer camp roo's and extra pullets.

Whatever that bird was, it wasn't a chantecler. It did have a cushion comb, but looked more like a game bird mature. It had a HORRIBLE personality. Nobody could quite identify its breeding. It went to freezer camp.

Quote:
I bought Partridge Chanteclers from Ideal three years ago in June, and am getting more at the end of this month. I have also purchased some from Sandhill, and hatched out some myself. They are a breed that takes a good long time to mature. As for size, our Ideal birds had some small and some much larger. It will be interesting to see if they are the same in this next shipment.

The birds personalities are great...very friendly, come when called. They love to play in show and puddles. Roosters are sweethearts.

I love your crele rooster. What a Beauty!

p.s. the birds laid well all winter, and since last fall the eggs were noticibly larger. I will say though, that even if they act broody, don't believe it! Give the eggs to a breed that is motherly if you want them to hatch and thrive.

Back
Top Bottom