Charcoal ashes for dust bath?

I've heard they are good for mite control, but I wonder if it works. It might burn if it mixes with the oil from the feathers, after all fat and ashes is what they used to make soap out of many, many years ago. I will be interested myself in the answer to this. I have woodstove ashes and have been considering this as well.

I'm so glad to see this post from someone who uses charcoal ashes! I've seen several mentions of wood ashes, which I don't have, but not much about using charcoal. Now I know what to do with all the cookout residue!

I'm a newbie with 4 6-week old pullets in an urban backyard. I love coming home from work, letting the girls out to roam for a couple of hours, while I have a glass of wine on the deck! -- terrific relaxation, and a few laughs.

I've heard they are good for mite control, but I wonder if it works. It might burn if it mixes with the oil from the feathers, after all fat and ashes is what they used to make soap out of many, many years ago. I will be interested myself in the answer to this. I have woodstove ashes and have been considering this as well.
To make lye for hot processed soap you actually use wood ash and you need to soak it in water for a week or two to get the chemical process happening to use for soap. If you search "Nancy Today" in the YouTube she's got a bunch of videos documenting how to make soap from scratch. Pretty neat stuff.
1f60a.png

I use wood ash from fire pit/ wood stove for dust bath and rub it on thier perches and so far I've never had a problem with lice or mites... Knock on wood
270a.png
1f44a.png
270a.png
1f44a.png
1f604.png

I use wood ash from fire pit/ wood stove for dust bath and rub it on thier perches and so far I've never had a problem with lice or mites... Knock on wood
270a.png
1f44a.png
270a.png
1f44a.png
1f604.png

I'm bringing up the topic of the many uses of charcoal for chickens because I feel people are getting confused about the different types of charcoal DO NOT GIVE BRIQUETTES from BBQ charcoal to any pets even chickens. Hardwood burnt iis best way to administer it. Also charcoal from coconut shells grounded to a fine powder is the best.
What I want to know is when is it useful, I'd imagine it would not be ideal to give it in powder form as it would get into the chickens lungs and create a blockage. I've also read it's good to flush out toxins. What is the best formula to do this.

Here's my formula...

Let fire (mostly) die out in wood stove.

Shovel ashes into metal bucket.

Let bucket set for a day or so to be sure all coals are dead.

Carry bucket to coop (large walk in coop). Upend bucket into favored dust bathing area. Favored dust bathing area is easy to find, it's the big crater I'm always afraid of falling into and never being found again
lol.png

Place bucket back on porch for next time.

Let birds take care of themselves.

I know folks get concerned about the birds breathing in the ashes, but I've been doing this for 20 years and, if there have been issues, I can't see what they are. No respiratory issues, healthy productive birds with no parasites. I'm not sure the ashes are really "worse" for them to breathe in than the plain ol dirt. I think they're designed to hold their breath or something when they dust bathe. Since it's how they're meant to keep themselves clean, there's got to be a safety check in place to prevent respiratory illnesses. God wouldn't give them a way to clean themselves that would kill them off......

Back
Top Bottom