Charlie our house chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Simplethrift, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Simplethrift

Simplethrift Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2009
    Southern NH
    We have a house chicken: Charlie. I got her at the NorthEast Poultry Congress in January. She was a day-old crippled Black Copper Maran chick that was scheduled to be destroyed due to her deformity.

“Let me at least try to keep her alive,” I pleaded with the breeder. She relented and I took the impossibly tiny chick home. After a few days of the baby getting used to our house, my son and I performed the delicate surgery needed to release her webbed toes allowing her feet to spread out with the hope that they would ultimately hold up her body weight.

Defying all odds, the little chick, named Charlie, (of the infamous Chocolate Factory because her breed lays chocolate colored eggs) not only survived but thrived. Within a week, she was walking about, roosting, and even scratching for her food. All skills that a healthy chicken needs.

The only problem was that January is the wrong time of year to get a chick. Because baby birds can not regulate their body temperature until they become fully feathered at around 6 weeks old, it meant that we had a chicken living in our house all winter. Charlie soon realized that the members of her flock were of a different variety but accepted us nonetheless. She roosted on our shoulders as we watched TV, took naps with our maltese dog, and generally acted like a puppy as she followed us from room to room demanding her treat when we'd give one to the dog.

It is now spring. Technically, there is no reason for us to keep Charlie in our house, except that at this point a chicken in the house has become a pet in the house. Sure, there is a little maintenance as she occasionally drops feathers, poops when she wants to, and scratches in the food dish spreading feed across the floor, but we just pick up the feathers, clean her poop (we even have chicken diapers that we use for that particular problem) and we sweep up her food.

Anyone else have experiences with a house chicken? Honestly, if it weren't for the never ending poop (and I mean never ending) she would be absolutely welcome as a pet in our house for the rest of her days.

Wendy

2. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    this post needs pictures :)

I have no experience with house chickens but my host family in NZ had a house lamb in diapers.

3. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I would love to have a house chicken. Get a little diaper and voila! No chicken poop! :)

4. Simplethrift

Sep 24, 2009
    Southern NH
    [​IMG]

5. Simplethrift

Sep 24, 2009
    Southern NH
    That's our Charlie, nesting in an old file cabinet drawer looking over me while I write.

6. Kay56

Kay56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Love the pic of Charlie. I am visiting Hampton, NH with my hubby this week....LOVE IT HERE! I see no need to take Charlie out of the house if you all are happy with the setup. Better than cleaning dog poo or cat litter box. Has anyone ever tried a litter box with a chicken??

7. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Very cute! I loved this story thanks for sharing.

8. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Sounds kinda cool to have a house chicken. Although my parents would NEVER let me (Especially because we are renting our house). Especially considering we were lucky enough to find a house that would let use have my outdoor chickens....

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I think you got her from Sue? I was at the show, and got some of her sisters.
    She is beautiful!

10. Simplethrift

Sep 24, 2009
    Southern NH
    Stoopid,

Yes, I did get the chick from Sue (what a nice woman!) I think she thought I was a little nuts for wanting to take the chick home and take care of her but after I convinced (begged) her, she gave the baby to me.

Do you have any photos of her sisters that you could add to this thread? I'd love to see them. (and with your permission put them on my blog where a lot of people are following Charlie's story.)

www.simplethrift.wordpress.com

Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by