Charlie's Thread

Pics
I’m not sure. I’m going to assume he’s around 25lbs.
Oh, wow, I was comparing him to my 53lb dog and thought they looked about the same weight! Charlie's much smaller than I thought. That's a great size.
Here's my mutt. She turned out to be 13 pounds heavier than the rescue had guessed.

Oh, wow, I was comparing him to my 53lb dog and thought they looked about the same weight! Charlie's much smaller than I thought. That's a great size.
Here's my mutt. She turned out to be 13 pounds heavier than the rescue had guessed.
I’m not good at judging weight so he may be heavier. I’m just eyeballing it. He goes in April to get his rabies vax updated so we’ll know for sure then. Your dog is beautiful! :love

I’m not good at judging weight so he may be heavier. I’m just eyeballing it. He goes in April to get his rabies vax updated so we’ll know for sure then.

Can you weigh him at home?

A typical bathroom scale works, if you can pick him up and weigh yourself both with and without him. (I've used that method for dog, cat, chicken, and baby human. The weights might be a few ounces off, but still very handy if you just want a ballpark number.)

Can you weigh him at home?

A typical bathroom scale works, if you can pick him up and weigh yourself both with and without him. (I've used that method for dog, cat, chicken, and baby human. The weights might be a few ounces off, but still very handy if you just want a ballpark number.)
I don’t have a scale, but I can look into getting one.

I've fostered rescue dogs, specializing in terrified and feral ones for 21 years. I will say that dogs like this need three things: 1. A calm handler that is not afraid of the dog at all 2. Medication for 6 mos to decrease the anxiety. 3. Daily training in that 6 months and taking them out to many places. Training with a trainer is a MUST! I still train with a trainer at least once a year and I'm constantly training new dogs. This is because your TIMING on your rewards and corrections must be perfect or you won't get the desired effect. The trainer is the person who helps you perfect that timing. Although they are also a great resource for tools to accomplish your goals.

Never, and I mean NEVER physically force a scared dog to do anything. You don't need to and if you were scared and somebody GRABBED YOU, what would you do? I'd kill the person LMBO You can be calm, walk the dog on a leash to the crate and stand there. They know to go in. Toss a few treats in. If they don't go, completely stay calm and wait. After 5 minutes, walk away with the dog on the leash. Do some commands that they know and reward. Walk back to the crate and toss a treat or two. When they go in, unhook the leash and praise. Give a few more treats when you close the door. If the treats aren't getting them in the crate, you need to increase the value of the treat with a better treat. I use: skinless boned boiled chicken breast, cooked chicken livers, and Stewart's dried liver treats. Then don't keep the dog in the crate for more than an hour before they come out. The crate is only for nighttime and short times. If you use it for 8-10 hour days, plus night, they hate it because you are torturing them!

Take the dog to the vet, ask for a prescription like Prozac or Clomicalm. They are NOT sedatives but dramatically decrease the anxiety in most dogs. They will not "fix" your dog without daily training. You have to train them and take them everywhere, usually for shorter times than other dogs, but they MUST be exposed to everything they are afraid of. If you have to muzzle them, then do it. To "cure" them is a 6 month process of daily taking them out. If this makes YOU filled with anxiety, then you've found the problem (YOU, because you are transferring your fears to the dog, and making their fear worse) This is where the trainer can really help you! If you refuse to do these things, please either put the dog down or re-home him to a better home, because these dogs can live normal lives with the correct person!

Rat terror and border collie plus mountain cur what a mix, I actually find it an interesting combo. He's going to be a high energy, and smart dog that will keep you on your toes.

Anybody that as had a terrier will understand why I spelled it the way I did above.
Love my terrier mix! High energy, super smart, LOVES to cuddle. Just need patience and structure routine. Best dog I’ve ever owned! ❤️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 2
I've fostered rescue dogs, specializing in terrified and feral ones for 21 years. I will say that dogs like this need three things: 1. A calm handler that is not afraid of the dog at all 2. Medication for 6 mos to decrease the anxiety. 3. Daily training in that 6 months and taking them out to many places. Training with a trainer is a MUST! I still train with a trainer at least once a year and I'm constantly training new dogs. This is because your TIMING on your rewards and corrections must be perfect or you won't get the desired effect. The trainer is the person who helps you perfect that timing. Although they are also a great resource for tools to accomplish your goals.

Never, and I mean NEVER physically force a scared dog to do anything. You don't need to and if you were scared and somebody GRABBED YOU, what would you do? I'd kill the person LMBO You can be calm, walk the dog on a leash to the crate and stand there. They know to go in. Toss a few treats in. If they don't go, completely stay calm and wait. After 5 minutes, walk away with the dog on the leash. Do some commands that they know and reward. Walk back to the crate and toss a treat or two. When they go in, unhook the leash and praise. Give a few more treats when you close the door. If the treats aren't getting them in the crate, you need to increase the value of the treat with a better treat. I use: skinless boned boiled chicken breast, cooked chicken livers, and Stewart's dried liver treats. Then don't keep the dog in the crate for more than an hour before they come out. The crate is only for nighttime and short times. If you use it for 8-10 hour days, plus night, they hate it because you are torturing them!

Take the dog to the vet, ask for a prescription like Prozac or Clomicalm. They are NOT sedatives but dramatically decrease the anxiety in most dogs. They will not "fix" your dog without daily training. You have to train them and take them everywhere, usually for shorter times than other dogs, but they MUST be exposed to everything they are afraid of. If you have to muzzle them, then do it. To "cure" them is a 6 month process of daily taking them out. If this makes YOU filled with anxiety, then you've found the problem (YOU, because you are transferring your fears to the dog, and making their fear worse) This is where the trainer can really help you! If you refuse to do these things, please either put the dog down or re-home him to a better home, because these dogs can live normal lives with the correct person!
.. if you read the rest of the thread, which I’m assuming not, and you’ve only read the first post… You will see we are doing well with training. I’ve been taking him for walks and little adventures in new places to help build confidence. I’ve also stopped being so impatient with him and learning when I need to walk away. We’re on the right path imo.

Back
Top Bottom