Charlie's Thread

Pics
Glad the vet check went well. Next it might be best to have him evaluated by a good trainer. They should be able to help you get to the root of the problem. Medication may help dull his anxiety, but it would be much better to know what's causing it to begin with.
The problem is finding a good trainer. I don’t want a trainer to slap a prong collar on him and call it a day

The problem is finding a good trainer. I don’t want a trainer to slap a prong collar on him and call it a day
Definitely not, shouldn't be too hard though, just look for someone who trains using positive reinforcement, or a behaviorist. Not necessarily for training, but so that they can evaluate him and see if they can figure out what's going on. And always remember, he's your dog, if anyone does anything you aren't comfortable with just say no.

I keep drawing blanks. Everywhere I search for trainers they’re always private board and train or “balanced” (and I don’t think using adverse tools would help a single thing about him). I’m gonna keep searching though.
I don't know enough about "balanced" dog training, or any other school of dog training, to be sure of how they differ from each other. But any dog trainer has the potential to see things you haven't noticed, and then you can decide what to do with the information.

You might just call one up on the phone and ask what they recommend in your situation. If they say, "send the dog to us for training," you can say no, thanks, and hang up. But they may offer a consultation or evalutation or something, where they watch you work with Charlie and then talk with you about what they notice. That might be worth considering, to learn from them even if you do not fully agree with their philosophy of dog training. (I am assuming they would charge for their time, so there's definitely a limit to how many times you would want to try something like that.)

This morning went well. I read somewhere that feeding in odd locations may help boost confidence. So he ate most of his breakfast on the back of the mule (he jumps up there himself), and the rest in a milk crate with rocks in it lol. He also got to do his treat ball and played with some toys. We also practiced his off leash heel (he’s on no-collar rest for a bit anyway lol so why not).
DDC56C1C-9EA4-416E-90A0-7C235C7DE579.jpeg
D0989A46-39C8-483D-9EE4-7933293348F1.jpeg
BDD8AE6F-F86C-4CAA-97BF-6C2DDB748E34.jpeg
1B29C578-644A-4C87-8F16-4DA993BE0EA4.jpeg
826889C9-8D4E-4F1F-963E-DF7B9CCE948D.jpeg
0C572120-655F-48FB-8731-013336FBA6A8.jpeg
F2E667B9-877B-43B5-BB0E-8322FA26DCE9.jpeg

This morning went well. I read somewhere that feeding in odd locations may help boost confidence. So he ate most of his breakfast on the back of the mule (he jumps up there himself), and the rest in a milk crate with rocks in it lol. He also got to do his treat ball and played with some toys. We also practiced his off leash heel (he’s on no-collar rest for a bit anyway lol so why not). View attachment 3087623View attachment 3087624View attachment 3087627View attachment 3087628View attachment 3087632View attachment 3087635View attachment 3087637
My dogs are very jealous of his breakfast. 😂

He ate on the mule again lol
663515C9-4047-4D7E-8E43-1DFCEEFE65C4.jpeg

Also, does anyone have any good dog food brands to recommend? I’m feeding Victor Hi Pro Plus, and he used to love it. But lately it’s more like he’s only eating it because he has to eat. He only gets the extra stuff occasionally so I don’t think that’s the reason. He will eat the Purina puppy chow left over from when I had Willow. But I don’t like Purina. :oops: Open to any suggestions:)

Also, does anyone have any good dog food brands to recommend? I’m feeding Victor Hi Pro Plus, and he used to love it. But lately it’s more like he’s only eating it because he has to eat. He only gets the extra stuff occasionally so I don’t think that’s the reason. He will eat the Purina puppy chow left over from when I had Willow. But I don’t like Purina. :oops: Open to any suggestions:)
I've had a good experience with Diamond Naturals - no wheat, soy, or corn. My Boxer who had allergies (to wheat, I think) lived to 14 years on the stuff. My Lab mix who could barely get up due to arthritis and injuries was able to go on 30 minute walks when she was on the senior formula and she lived to 13. I feed it (mixed with a prescription food) to my current rescue who also has allergies and a very sensitive stomach.

Last edited:
He will eat the Purina puppy chow left over from when I had Willow. But I don’t like Purina.
If he likes it, and you have some, I would certainly feed him that until it is gone.

Maybe he just likes variety? If he finishes off the Purina puppy chow, you could see if he likes the previous food again afterward.

Or maybe there is something specific about the puppy chow that he likes, and you might be able to find some other food that shares that thing. For example, since it's meant for puppies, it may have more protein and/or fat than some other foods, which might make it taste better to him. Or may it's a matter of beef flavor vs. chicken flavor vs. some other flavor. Or maybe it's how many calories per cup of food. He probably needs the same number of calories per day no matter what food he eats, but the food might taste better if the calories are more or less concentrated. Or maybe it's something completely different, that I haven't thought of.

If he likes it, and you have some, I would certainly feed him that until it is gone.

Maybe he just likes variety? If he finishes off the Purina puppy chow, you could see if he likes the previous food again afterward.

Or maybe there is something specific about the puppy chow that he likes, and you might be able to find some other food that shares that thing. For example, since it's meant for puppies, it may have more protein and/or fat than some other foods, which might make it taste better to him. Or may it's a matter of beef flavor vs. chicken flavor vs. some other flavor. Or maybe it's how many calories per cup of food. He probably needs the same number of calories per day no matter what food he eats, but the food might taste better if the calories are more or less concentrated. Or maybe it's something completely different, that I haven't thought of.
Yesterday I mixed the puppy chow in with the Victor and he ate it pretty well. I’ll see if I can find a “similar” food he will do well on.

Back
Top Bottom