Chart showing breeds used to create sexlinks

chickenpluckeroo7

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Chocowinity North Carolina
I have done a ton of surfing trying to find which breeds can be used to create sexlinks. I have went to Feathersite.com but they seem vague with their information. Are there any sites that show the many different combinations available to create sexlinks especially those that can be color sexed. Thanks, Chickenplucker

If you want to produce sex links here are a few you can use: there are other combinations but the sexing accuracy drops due to the genetic makeup of the birds. The birds listed below have the genetic makeup that will allow a sexing percentage into the high 90s. Other combinations will drop into the low 80s.

Red sex linked

Male

Rhode island red
New hampshire
Production red

Female

Rhode Island White
Delaware
Light sussex
light Brahma
dark brahma
Salmon faverolle

Black sex linked cross- sexing can be as high as 100% but not always.

Any non barred male- the bird can not carry barring or be dominant white (leghorn). I would not use any white bird especially wyandotte and plymouth rocks.

light brown leghorn
rhode island red
speckled sussex
etc.

any barred female

barred rock
dominique (cuckoo barred)
cuckoo barred maran

I have written over thirty pages in my book on this subject. If it is published, it will make a good read on the subject.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim, Thanks for your response. I am currently using a RIR male and some Plymouth white rocks to make something called a amber sexlink. Have you ever heard of that one? I have plans to use a RIR roo. with some Barred Rock hens to make my black sexlinks. If I'm not mistaken the males will have a white spot on their heads. I appreciate your help and any other information would be greatly appreciated. Chickenplucker

White Plymouth rocks can work well as long as they do not carry gold, dominant white and the barring gene. There are different names for silver/gold sex linked crosses; each company or hatchery has their own names.

Silver factor white rocks used by hatcheries have dominant white. Some hatcheries use rhode island white and they also have dominant white. The dominant white will help reduce the amount of red pigment in the down of the chicks so you get golden or amber or wheat colored chicks.

Rhode island red on barred hen is a good cross. You are correct on the white head spot.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim,

About ten years ago when I made my first chick order I bought red stars from McMurry. At the time they listed their cross as Rhode Island Red x White Leghorn, I believe their 'Pearl' variety. Your info says this cross doesn't work and McMurray has since stopped listing what their red stars are created from. Comments?

or you can create your own 99% sexable sex link cross....
wink.png

At the time they listed their cross as Rhode Island Red x White Leghorn,

It wouldn't work as a colour sex link unless they had created a non typical strain of birds which were genetically not black, like the Rhode island whites or possibly white rocks.

I've seen before where places list parent breeds which, if typical examples of the colours of the breeds, could not have made the hybrid.​

a few years ago I was working on a 100% sexable at birth sexlink layer type breed, but my birds got stolen and I lost interest, I am thinking on doing the same progect on my home grown broiler progect now...

Quote:
nope...they were sex linked and you could tell the sex at hatch...it was going all well, but the bird got stolen, hey I wonder what the big guys do to male leghorns as soon as they find out they are males...my plan was to sell them as day olds and keep the females, for cost savings, space and food savings too...

I am thinking on doing the same on broilers(if I do it, it will set me back about 1.5 years), using a broiler sire roosters(very large frame, super fast growth) on heavily sexual dimorph hens(small hens, big big roosters) do the same for the hens,(sell them as day old) keep the roosters....

ah... the sex link trait I am talking about its not in any of this thread list....you want to guess??....
wink.png
PLEASE......
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom