Chased by a dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aina, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Aina

Aina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Oahu hawaii
    Thank you all for your support. This is heart breaking and I do not know what to do while many friends suggest to put her down... She is the same today: head down unable to walk. I tube feed her does it hurt??? My vet said its ok they feel uncomfortable but get used to it. She keeps trying to get at the food but misses it and goes back to sleep. I do not want to pursue her agony and u love her too much to let her go. She is under pain meds so she shouldn't be suffering. But I can't picture her being just sleeping all the time and being tube fed... I am taking her again to the vet tonight for blood tests and maybe X rays??? Then I'll make the decision. She is under NSAID and I would like to switch to prednisone... I feel she had brain injury...
    And tip it advice is so much appreciated!!! Mahalo!

2. Aina

Aina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Oahu hawaii
    Yes many people will find this crazy to spend so much money time and effort for a stray hen... But Chica is my little girl and money is nothing even if I don't have so much if it!!!

3. Aina

Aina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Oahu hawaii
    Third visit to the vet today. I needed to get some advices about where and when to stop. Don't want to be selfish and add more agony if there is any and yet wanted to give Chica all possible chances! The vet (very nice) said blood test won't really help beside showing Chica is sick. She recommended X ray to rule out any possible metal poisoning that would display similar symptoms... I shared with her all my web search clues such as brain injury (but no physical impact wound!) or post traumatic disorder or bad food ... Brought a sample of her feed where we didn't see any obvious mold but "pasta bugs" so she suggested to put that feed in the trash... So we just went with X rays and fortunately Chica had no metal in her body... The vet did see a mass where the eggs are formed that could lead to bacterial infections so she prescribed some
    Antibiotics... She also added another pain killer... The best news of all is that Chica was pretty much standing on her one leg the whole 45 minutes of the exam... So that is a big improvement!!! The vet said That I need to feed her every 3 hours to keep her going... My schedule today didn't allow me to feed her more than 3 times :-(
    So it looks like Chica might be better today and the vet said to keep on trying until at least the end of the week! She sounded very positive about her chances to recover! So I am way more optimistic tonight and Chica will spend another night in my bed :) funny to see my 3 cats didn't even bother to get close to her last night ! They must feel the situation!!! Chica is a great and tough girl who went through so much already I am now sure she'll make it!!!
    Love and aloha!

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    You have a good vet! I'm glad she found the mass and is treating accordingly. It may be that was the problem simply brought on faster by the dog trauma. Keep us poster, [​IMG]

5. Aina

Aina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Oahu hawaii
    Well... Bad news: there are now foamy bubbles coming out of her one eye. I started last night the clavamox and Gabapentin. Still head down. The vet is off today. What should I do???

6. Aina

Aina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Oahu hawaii
    I am horribly thinking that maybe I made a mistake while tube feeding her and a bit of food went in the trachea? After feeding I saw her breathing hard as her feathers on her throat went up and down more than normal. Tonight I refed her and a bit later she kept her head down barely breathing and I noticed that her eyes were bulging in and out at the rhythm of her breathing... But eyes can't be connected to the respiratory track right? Now she is asleep still alive and I need to feed her at 11 pm... Has anyone seen that?

7. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If she inhaled some food she would likely be coughing or 'snicking'. The foamy eyes - bathe them gently with warm water. Hope your vet gets back soon, it sounds like Chica is struggling. I have my fingers crossed for both of you.....

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Oh bless you both. My prayers are with you. I had to do tube feeding once and it was so sad. My little girl died in my hands while feeding and I felt like it was my fault. She was very sick and weak and couldn't handle it..I really hope you have better luck. Your such a good chichen momma she is very lucky to have you. I sure hope she gets well. Keep us posted

9. Aina

Aina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Oahu hawaii
    Well, Chica is still alive and goes through short time when she seems ok and then back to scaring me. The vet emailed me yesterday after I sent her pictures if Chica's eyes:
    Hi Anne,
    I looked at both pictures and it looks like the beginning of a respiratory infection. It seems likely that because she is feeling so poorly and not eating much, she will be susceptible to getting infections. Because this symptom is showing up late in the course of the disease, I think it is an opportunistic infection and not a main symptom of illness. I don't think it necessary to change your supportive care treatment. She is already on a broad-spectrum antibiotic and pain medication. Keeping her warm and fed are priorities for nursing care. You do have the option of hospitalizing her if you would prefer us to keep her in a warm area and administer her medications. However, if we reach the 1 week mark and she seems to be worsening rather than improving, I think euthanasia would be an acceptable option in helping her to pass on peacefully.

I am sorry that she is not having a rapid turnaround that we were both hoping for. I am still hoping that she will respond to the medication and slowly get her strength back. Please keep us updated!
    Jill

To she keeps letting her her down the raise it and it does a half circle and goes down again... The bubbling in the eye disappeared for a few hours then went back on then off again...
    Anyone has seen similar signs and would have any clue? Thank you...

10. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I have nothing for you I'm afraid. Your vets advice is the best course to follow - sending positive thoughts your way.....keep us posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by