Chasing raw butt clues like Sherlock...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HenSpa, Nov 17, 2010.

1. HenSpa

HenSpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay. I have had raw, red bottoms on some of my chickens for a while now. Currently, on two of my seven. At times in the past, the number's been up to four.

I have looked on the chickens themselves after educating myself on what to look for regarding mice/lice on past posts...no critters.

And tonight my husband (Holmes) & I checked for signs of red mites in coops. Absolutely nothing. Nothing stirring on the walls, wiped underneath perches with cloth to see if I could see blood (clean), looked underneath perch tongue/groove part (clean).

My thoughts are now migrating (after smoking my pipe and putting on a velvet lounging coat) to protein issues causing feather chewing/eating. My worst hen (a SLW) has recently showed up with chewed-on looking tail feathers. I noticed tonight, while looking for the mites, that she is forgoing the perches for a nest box in tandem with another chicken behind her. Aha!

I also recently found out that Holmes, in charge of distributing food, was neglecting the oyster shell portion thinking the feeder was for grit; we fixed that. Another thing, my feed & seed gave him different feed several weeks ago. I checked and it's soybean-based, not animal protein which I read makes a difference in egg production. My egg production is way down. Need to change the feed.

Are my deductions taking me on the right track, wiser-than-me chicken whisperers? Thanks for any feedback you can give.

2. HenSpa

(bump)

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I believe you have mites. Some are microscopic, so unless you used a strong magnifying glass, the lack of seeing them does not mean they are not there. Also, some of these uber tiny mites burrow into the skin, and these you would not see either. I'd suggest treating the birds with ivermectin, and add sevin or permethrin dust to nest boxes and dustbathing areas.

4. HenSpa

Sorry, I neglected to include the fact that a month or two ago I treated with Ivermectin, and again with permethrin after a certain amt. of days. Treated the coop, hen boxes, etc. also. So that was checked off my list, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by