Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
Last time I set dirty eggs and a few that I had washed with water. They all hatched. I probably just had beginner's luck. I put a couple dirty eggs from my neighbor in my incubator this time but they were not fertile. Waiting to see if my washed ones hatch this time.

I have set many dirty shipped eggs over the years, and for the most part they hatch just fine and way better than the ones that have been washed.
The exceptions are the ones with yolk on them.

The ones that do not do well are the ones exposed to extreem heat or cold. They tend to become stinkers.

Should sellers state if they are NPIP or not???

Whether or not you are NPIP / AI certified does not SAY if you do or do not have healthy birds.

It does mean that you meet certain minimum standards in your operation and that the birds tested to be free of Pullarium and / or Avian Influenza.

Before I was tested my chickens (and turkeys) where every bit as healthy as they are now.

The NPIP / AI certification DOES limit me to sources that are also NPIP certified. For that reason If I am interested in an item I ask.

No auction for Tuesday shipping from me, it rained all day yesterday and too many eggs will be muddy. Ugh.
i am happy to take muddy eggs!!!

i wash all my dirty/muddy/poopy eggs, not only do i wash them, i wash them in bleach water. (waits for the collective gasp)

They all hatch just fine, i also dont wear gloves when handling my eggs, again....fine.

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8120.pdf
Read the section labeled Egg Washing and Disinfectants for Egg sanitation.

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/poultry/publication/commegg/sld010.htm

Now i know washing is not as good as keeping clean eggs but i would rather have washed eggs in there then ones covered in mud/poo/etc because i dont want to grow that particular bacteria for 21-22 days in a nice humid warm enviroment. Also dont forget if you are having crumby hatch rates from a well used bator...sanitize your incubator.

*hops off the soap box*
hide.gif

EDITED: for typos

Last edited:
That's an interesting thought, but believe me, some of these are so coated in mud you can't see the color of the eggs.
i have had eggs like that....they did fine lol.

BTW if you read those links i posted they say not to submerge for more then 3 mins tops.

Basically i fill the sink with hot water and a bit of bleach and dish soap. Set an egg in the sink, scrub it off with a green kitchen scrubbie, rinse it in warm water then dry it with its own paper towel.

I might post an auction or two. I have two very good dual purpose breeds. NPIP / AI

Anybody interested in Buckeyes, Lay Line.

OR; White American Bresse, two generations away from Greenfire line.

Back
Top Bottom