Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
I've had chickens for 6 years, but  still don't know what NPIP is *facepalm* what is it?

National Poultry Improvement Plan
You have to get your flock tested for diseases either every 6 months or each year and test clean to be NPIP approved. It is a program designed to help reduce the spread of infectious diseases in poultry.

ETA: It is totally voluntary, but most states require you to be NPIP to ship eggs or chicks if you wish to sell them that way.

Last edited:
National Poultry Improvement Plan
You have to get your flock tested for diseases either every 6 months or each year and test clean to be NPIP approved. It is a program designed to help reduce the spread of infectious diseases in poultry.

ETA: It is totally voluntary, but most states require you to be NPIP to ship eggs or chicks if you wish to sell them that way.
Ok that's neat. How much does it cost?

Ok that's neat. How much does it cost?

Cost seems to be different for each state, as it is run at a state by state level, but it usually isn't very high...
For West Virginia the email contact is [email protected] and you can contact them and ask, they will answer all the requirements for you. Hope that helps!
NPIP is a great program, it has advantages and drawbacks both. You can ship eggs and chicks, but it will restrict your poultry purchases to only other NPIP flocks as well. Just want you to know both sides of it. :)

The idea that if I can not be 100% biosecure that I should do nothing is just absurd.

And the fact there is a long list of bio security measures you could be taking with yourself (which you handle and interact with the birds on a daily basis) yet choose and pick the one about allowing people on your property as one of the most important to follow is ABSURD to me. Just saying.. Let's agree that we disagree and move on.

I have nothing to do with this conversation and I'm the furthest thing form Bio-secure. I live next to an elementary school and kids give stuff to my chickens all day long at recess. But I just wanted to say I didn't feel berated at all. Someone asked a question and everyone gave their opinion. Some people felt strongly about their opinion and others didn't but no one said you had to follow these my way or else. No one continuously pushed their idea onto me. The debate continued back and forth like normal, but I don't think we need to say we were berated in any way. Also what would you call it when you're attempting to achieve bio-security if not bio-security?

Okay, I'm very sorry. I edited my post and apologized. About the biosecurity thing, I don't know how much counts before you should make that claim. I used to ( in college) clean biological labs and the levels of biosecurity were very strict. I read about the policies of hatcheries and other agricultural industries and they are fairly strict. I just don't think the average person with a few chickens us going to have that level of strictness. Some probably do.
I don't have an answer for that question. In my head, and this is my opinion, it's like this analogy: A "no visitors" policy is part of biosecurity like a line is part of a square.

Cost seems to be different for each state, as it is run at a state by state level, but it usually isn't very high...
For West Virginia the email contact is [email protected] and you can contact them and ask, they will answer all the requirements for you. Hope that helps!
NPIP is a great program, it has advantages and drawbacks both. You can ship eggs and chicks, but it will restrict your poultry purchases to only other NPIP flocks as well. Just want you to know both sides of it.
smile.png
Thanks for the info... although I'm in Virginia, not West VA, but I can see in my location why you would think I was in WV. How many NPIP flocks would you estimate that there are?

Thanks, I'll look at those!

Thanks for the info... although I'm in Virginia, not West VA, but I can see in my location why you would think I was in WV. How many NPIP flocks would you estimate that there are?

Whoops! Very sorry! Am tired and read your location wrong, lol. Was trying to make sure you got the right info for your state, since each state has it's own contacts. Looks like Regin got it for you though.
I really couldn't guess how many are NPIP, but there are a lot. Hatcheries, egg producers and meat producers are included in NPIP. But with backyard flocks each person makes their own decisions on whether to certify or not. You might be able to get a figure from your state rep if you ask them...

Back
Top Bottom