Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
People who have more to loose or have experienced serious losses in the past due to human spread poultry disease, and have experienced the emotional pain and financial hardship of maybe having to cull all their birds are more likely to undertake stringent bio-security measures.

Keep in mind that NPIP doesn't mean that birds are 100% tested healthy. They are not tested for every infectious disease. You could get birds that are free of CRD but are carriers of Marek's disease, for example.

Keep in mind that NPIP doesn't mean that birds are 100% tested healthy.  They are not tested for every infectious disease.   You could get birds that are free of CRD but are carriers of Marek's disease, for example.  

X2

And just because someone is NPIP, doesn't mean that they are honest about their breeds, either. They could be selling mutts instead of pures and look good cuz they're NPIP.
Not saying all that are NPIP do this, but some people do use the status in dishonest ways.
And also, just cuz someone isn't NPIP doesn't mean their flock is any less healthy. I know several who have dropped from the program cuz the testing changed and to them it was too stressful on their birds. They do still get tested, but not they do it on their own and don't test as many birds.

Last edited:
Edited: Sorry, I'm editing this because what I wrote was mean spirited and I was very angry. I shouldn't have said that and I shouldn't have said it in that way. (Goes to show that being on the Internet when you are angry is never a good thing) I've just felt that the past several pages of this thread have been lecturing the small flock owner on how they are "doing it wrong". I got upset by what I thought was an attack on another another member and I shouldn't have done that. For one thing, it probably made the member I was defending feel very uncomfortable. I'm very sorry, I shouldn't have done it.
I'm sure you all feel that you are doing the best for your flock, and are trying to be helpfu to others.

If anyone thinks i am some big time poultry owner or you need to be a big time poultry owner to do biosecurity thats not quite right. i own a mix of roughly 20 chickens...thats it. i do biosecurity because there are atleast 5 farms around here that i know of who sell poultry that are knowingly infected with things like mycoplasma, mericks, avian pox etc. The chickens you see all look healthy, within a few days of taking them home they get very sick and die and take a lot of your birds with them. These same farms take birds to the local fairs so i dont do fairs. Because their birds have migrated off their farms into other flocks and they sell chickens every week, there is no way i am letting anyone around my tiny flock that might have just bought one of the infected chickens the day before or went and looked at their chickens before comming to see mine and didnt buy any of theirs. Its to risky for my small flock, if a disease like avian pox got into my coop it would likely wipe out every chicken i have. Biosecurity isn't only aimed at large operations we should all be praticing some form of disease prevention in all livestock and poultry. It would be beyond silly for me to let whoever wander thru my chicken coop or handle my chickens while knowing full well about those infected farms. Those are also only the ones i know about, alot of people will have chickens die, not know the cause....dispose of them and look for replacements. If they want to come buy birds from you after their entire flock died or a large portion...you have no problem letting them walk about in your coops? i have heard of people having it happen...a guy showed up to buy chickens and about half way thru showing them the chickens he casually mentioned how thirty of his chickens had died over the past week and a half but he managed to save 6...still living in the same coop where the infected ones died. How much would that freak you out?

Whoops! Very sorry! Am tired and read your location wrong, lol. Was trying to make sure you got the right info for your state, since each state has it's own contacts. Looks like Regin got it for you though.
I really couldn't guess how many are NPIP, but there are a lot. Hatcheries, egg producers and meat producers are included in NPIP. But with backyard flocks each person makes their own decisions on whether to certify or not. You might be able to get a figure from your state rep if you ask them...
Oh it's fine

So some hatcheries are NPIP too?, do you know which ones?

All of them are. It's the law.

Yup, what ladycat said. They ship live chicks, to cross state lines they have to be NPIP, no if's ands or buts.
When you look at their websites/info they have a symbol/stamp like square icon that says NPIP. They each have their own NPIP number and you can verify it with the states NPIP contact.

ETA: It is the backyard flock owner with who certification is optional, but again to ship you need to be certified. Also each state may have it's additionals, like in TN if I had more than 3000 chickens I'd have to get a business license and certify because of that.

Last edited:
Yup, what ladycat said. They ship live chicks, to cross state lines they have to be NPIP, no if's ands or buts.
When you look at their websites/info they have a symbol/stamp like square icon that says NPIP. They each have their own NPIP number and you can verify it with the states NPIP contact.

ETA: It is the backyard flock owner with who certification is optional, but again to ship you need to be certified. Also each state may have it's additionals, like in TN if I had more than 3000 chickens I'd have to get a business license and certify because of that.
You don't have to be NPIP to ship lives, but the birds shipped have to have been tested and may be required to have copies of the paperwork, is my understanding of the way the law reads at least in the state of Arkansas.

Back
Top Bottom