Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
This is my hatch from some eggs I bought on the auction page. all the yellow ones are from my own eggs though. if you read the description on the youtube page I explain all the breeds and what happened with the incubator

0.jpg

Friday... less than a week to go!! Can't wait!

Oh, and wanted to ask, do you normally have to do any assisting? These are first time on Calls and heard they can have trouble pipping??

Yes, always have to help at least a couple. I watch for internal pipping. Once internally pipped I give them 18 hrs to make an external pip. If they don't I make a tiny safe hole using a thumb tack. I then give them no more than 36 hrs to hatch. They usually do but if they don't I remove the top of the shell and assist. If they start zipping around the shell but don't finish within an hr I pop the top off myself. They're so tiny that they wear themselves out quickly trying to hatch and then just quit. If I have to help I only do as much as getting their head out and then let them do the rest. They may be weak from struggling to hatch on their own so may not finish coming out of the shell until the following day. If you have questions when the time comes feel free to contact me. I will PM you my cell number.

emvickrey just had 2 Silkie auctions yesterday... think she might have more soon... she has beautiful Silkies and packs eggs great!!
I saw that. I was a day too late returning lol. I agree, her silkies are gorgeous. She had splash auctions up when I was last on but a full bator kept me from bidding.

Yes, always have to help at least a couple. I watch for internal pipping. Once internally pipped I give them 18 hrs to make an external pip. If they don't I make a tiny safe hole using a thumb tack. I then give them no more than 36 hrs to hatch. They usually do but if they don't I remove the top of the shell and assist. If they start zipping around the shell but don't finish within an hr I pop the top off myself. They're so tiny that they wear themselves out quickly trying to hatch and then just quit. If I have to help I only do as much as getting their head out and then let them do the rest. They may be weak from struggling to hatch on their own so may not finish coming out of the shell until the following day. If you have questions when the time comes feel free to contact me. I will PM you my cell number.

Oh, thank you soooo much! Was a bit worried... only hatched 1 out of 5 ducks the only other time I tried, and I did everything wrong except the end, lol... don't know what kind it was, or how viable the eggs were, but the 1 that made it to lockdown pipped 2 days early internally and couldn't do the external pip... I made a safe hole and let him sit for a few hours, then widened it a little... he still had a huge yolk sac to absorb... that little fighter sat for 2 days absorbing and just when I was gonna help him, he popped right out... sent him home at a week old, just the happiest little duck ever!

I've been scared they won't external pip, and scared to shrinkwrap them... :/

Oh, thank you soooo much! Was a bit worried... only hatched 1 out of 5 ducks the only other time I tried, and I did everything wrong except the end, lol... don't know what kind it was, or how viable the eggs were, but the 1 that made it to lockdown pipped 2 days early internally and couldn't do the external pip... I made a safe hole and let him sit for a few hours, then widened it a little... he still had a huge yolk sac to absorb... that little fighter sat for 2 days absorbing and just when I was gonna help him, he popped right out... sent him home at a week old, just the happiest little duck ever!

I've been scared they won't external pip, and scared to shrinkwrap them... :/

Yes, shrink wrapping is always a concern when you have to open the incubator to help. I only open for a second to take the one out that I'm helping and keep a small spray bottle inside the incubator to mist into the air whenever I open it. Then I quickly put the egg/baby back in and mist again if needed. It's nerve wracking for me. That's why I always set my call eggs to where they'll hatch over the weekend while I'm off lol. This year I wasn't planning on hatching any myself because I'm moving but did just put a few in the incubator. I have a broody sitting on 8 eggs also. I'm hoping that I'll have a broody later in the year also. I usually don't get a broody call until late April early May but guess they're starting early this year lol.

Back
Top Bottom