Chausie Cats- has anyone owned or cared for one?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LynneP, Nov 19, 2008.

1. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I was approached yesterday by a man with a farm similar to ours- about our feral cats. He's looking for a big-boned oci-tabby to breed to his chausie cat. I had never heard of chausies before, though after doing some research I learned a bit.

Now, I've been looking for a home for a nine-month old oci-tabby so I will probably let this love-machine go to that farm. He's a fabulous cat, healthy and affectionate and he's going to be a monster. But now I'm curious about the chausies, especially temperament. The female is about a year old and 35 pounds. Ahem. This man is a true animal lover and his wife and child are likewise. He says that chausies are rare in Canada and that hybrids are popular. A fascinating idea to say the least.

Do any of you have experience with chausies?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    sounds like a bad idea to me, too many unwanted kitties in this world as it is [​IMG] I love purebred cats, but even people can have hard times finding homes for them...hence why theres siamese mixes running around everywhere, I own two of these unwanted mixes.

edited to add I wanted them im meaning the ones that are still unwanted, sick, feral, without shots, medication, and not altered to keep numbers down and to keep illness and disease down.

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    The biggest cat I know about is a Maine Coon and I think they top out at about 25lbs. I'd love to see a picture of a chausie.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

They're beautiful and very expensive. The owner of the female expects to get $500 per female kitten. They charge less for males who are usually sterile. I'm still researching. I certainly wouldn't want them breeding into the feral colony here, too big for local wildlife, could be mistaken for bobcats. Some also lok like lynxes and have tufted ears.

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

they ARE indeed gorgeous cats - and we wanted one, were dead set on getting one...until...our neighbors got one [​IMG] While we did our homework, research and everything else on the breed - after seeing our neighbors (whom they found at the pound believe it or not - as a 6 week old kitten!) - that cat was the meanest cat I've ever seen in my life!! We 'cat sat' for them several times and that thing tore us up beyond imagine (also tore up its owners and everything else!)

We decided to go with a Norwegian Forest Cat - he's very very large - about the size of a Maine Coon - looks like a Rag Doll/Coon mix and is about 17 lbs.

I wouldnt trade him for the world! He is very very sociable, loves all of us and is more like a dog than a cat - and is very very much MINE, he's my luuuuuuuuv bug [​IMG]

ETA: Btw - check with your local laws/codes - some states do not allow hybrid cats from wild cats and they need to be so many generations removed from the wild cat to be even considered for ownership.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. lilarabookworm

lilarabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    i dont have any experience with this specific breed but i know about cats in general:/
    but atleast I know they are adorable![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i want a Savannah cat..ever hear of them?

9. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

yep redhen - they closely resemble the chausies.

they're also the bengals, and chessie's

[​IMG]

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by