Cheap Cornish X?

I ordered mine from the local feed store, $2.25 each. Yes, probably a little high, but I am not comfortable at this time buying mail order. Maybe some day. These are going to be my first.

Schlecht's Hatchery. $0.90 straight run. We just processed 65 seven week old birds this past weekend. Most netted out at 5lbs or so each.

I'll have to try schelts - getting to work on the chicken tractor
smile.png

How big should one be for say, 25 meaties?

Schlect's price for delivered roos is $1.46. Welp is $1.55. This is based on where I live. Delivered price is a better representaion of total cost. Might have to order some from Schlects and Welp next batch.

Last edited:
Quote:
8'x8' would work just fine. Half covered, half open. Keep the covered side towards the direction your bad weather comes from.

Thanks Dogfish! Hmmm - That's a lot smaller than I thought haha!

I don't have the patience for proscessing so unfortunately I'm going to shell out 2.00 per bird to have it done. So that's about 3.55 per bird before feeding. I wonder what it would cost to feed a meaty to 8 weeks so I can get a more accurate picture.

Quote:
8'x8' would work just fine. Half covered, half open. Keep the covered side towards the direction your bad weather comes from.

Thanks Dogfish! Hmmm - That's a lot smaller than I thought haha!

I don't have the patience for proscessing so unfortunately I'm going to shell out 2.00 per bird to have it done. So that's about 3.55 per bird before feeding. I wonder what it would cost to feed a meaty to 8 weeks so I can get a more accurate picture.

My feed costs are $17.55 for 50lb of 20% protein broiler feed. That = $0.35/lb x 20 lb/bird = $7.00/bird. I paid $1.00/bird. $1.00 + $7.00 feed +$0.11 packaging + (rental on plucker)$0.08 processing = $8.19/bird, or $1.638/lb (assuming static feed cost & 5lb average).

I projected $1.41-$1.46 at the beginning...forgot to include packaging and had no idea how feed prices might change on a moment's notice (went from $16/bag - $17.75).

A good value in my opinion, I am happy with my decision.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom