Cheap/DIY Windows

mrtoren

Chirping
Mar 5, 2020
Central Illinois
We are currently upgrading from a 4x4 to a 4x8 coop before winter. I am building a lean to style coop with a row of nesting boxes along one of the eight foot sides. I would like to add two windows above the nesting boxes along that wall, but I am struggling to justify paying $70-100 per window. I have scoured FB Marketplace and Craigslist for a set of used windows, but have had no luck. They're either mismatched sizes, rotted, or lack the nailing flange.

I did locate some cheap wood window sashes that were removed from the frame. My thought was that I could try to slap some hinges on the top edge and turn them into tilt windows. However, I cannot seem to locate much information or any videos demonstrating the process (or how much of a hassle it is to prop them open). Has anyone used replacement windows without the flange in their coop? How did you frame them?

What other options have people turned to for affordable windows? If new ones are ultimately worth the investment, I'll pay it. I just want to exhaust the repurposing/DIY route before I shell out for brand new windows.

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, particularly when considering coop builds.

Glass/plexiglass in the windows really isn't necessary in many cases -- just hardware cloth with a solid covering hinged at the top to act as an awning (it can often be the piece of siding that you cut out to make the window opening -- maybe trimmed out nicely with some 1x2 boards. However, if you;'re in a climate where you need clear windows for light as well as vents you might use those frames as top-hinged windows by filling them with plexiglass.

Here's an article showing how to make a prop for them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/window-support-for-top-hinged-windows.74810/

I put the hinges on the side so they swing out and against the coop wall. I secure them open with a simple hook and eye.

Nothing wrong with this, but the advantage of top-hinging the windows is that they are their own awning. :)

This article is from my old coop that I built. I framed out the window openings and built windows out of 1 x 4's then top hinged them. You could use any window and put hinges on the top. The support system worked great, for adjusting how far open I wanted the windows, kept the rain out and still had ventilation from them.

I have a woods style coop and for the monitor windows I used these:

Barn Window

Cheap and I put hinges on the top. I use a thin piece of wood along the top along the stop trim to prop them open. In the winter, I just remove the piece of wood and use a barrel bolt lock to secure them.
69FD0DC9-2F17-4625-8FBA-D4D9D00DFAB9.jpeg

Some (Howard E, I think is one)) use the barn sash windows like the link above as slide windows. They come with a groove that can be set over a ridge - router the ridge in the framing or screw a narrow strip onto the framing or other ways. Leave clearance for wood swelling in rainy weather. It doesn't slide as easily as a modern window for a house but it slides well enough. If your coop design allows it, it might be worth considering. My coop design doesn't allow it so I have no first hand experience with it.

Last edited:
This article is from my old coop that I built. I framed out the window openings and built windows out of 1 x 4's then top hinged them. You could use any window and put hinges on the top. The support system worked great, for adjusting how far open I wanted the windows, kept the rain out and still had ventilation from them.

I've linked that a lot, both for the prop instructions and for the good photos of what top-hinged windows look like. :)

I have a woods style coop and for the monitor windows I used these:

Barn Window

Cheap and I put hinges on the top. I use a thin piece of wood along the top along the stop trim to prop them open. In the winter, I just remove the piece of wood and use a barrel bolt lock to secure them.
View attachment 2841939
Nice looking coop.

Back
Top Bottom