Cheap feed

gj4utoo

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 8, 2009
why not feed cracked barley it should sell 4 about 5.00 a 100lbs or cracked corn?
In the spring when they clean wheat, corn ,and barley, for seed,,, i ll bet i can get the sreenings for a 1.00 / 100 lbs it will have cracked grains and weed seed in it.

Last edited:
neither barley or corn alone are sufficient for a complete feed, they are good for scratch or a treat, but they do not have the protein content to make a healthy chicken. They can make up for the protein if they are good foragers and are allowed to free range I guess.

If you are buying screenings, you won't get much. Screenings will be dried up seed not worth anything.

I would like some for bedding. Should be good for that.

Wow, that is cheap! Cracked corn here is $9 for 40 pounds at the cheapest. I feed cracked corn as a treat (a handful when I want them all to come to me), and I can get leftover mash grains from a brewery for $11 per 50 gallon barrel, so I let them have that free choice, plus kitchen scraps and free-ranging most of the day. It's pretty cheap, and so far the chickens seem healthy. I had chickens when I was a kid and all I ever fed them was scratch feed plus whatever they found on their own, and they laid an egg a day with no problems. They can be kept cheaply, and I think free-ranging is the key to it.

I posted a link over on feeding about grain diets and a study the govt of Canada did on feeding three groups of hens 3 different diets ..Hard red wheat, barley, Prairie Wheat.

I wouldn't go 100%, but I'm looking at whole grains I can combine with a meat meal, it would overall be a better diet. I think there's info on lionsgrip on recipes.

Chickens lack certain enzymes to properly digest barley. They can't fully process the available energy and it will give them loose droppings or pasty butt unless you add special enzyme additives to the feed.

Quote:
Agreed. Cheap isn't always good!

Second that...cheap isn't always good! If they last protein that can start pecking each others feather out and eat them. Feathers are protein.

We just had this discussion sort of about feed quality over on the feeding and watering section. I would suggest you look over there at all the comments. Definately need more than scratch.

Cal
JAx FL

Back
Top Bottom