cheap/free incubator for classrooms

I have to agree with chris tho, roosters can be super aggressive, I was flogged bad by one of my grandmas when I was 3 or so and it sucked! And I have a 2 year old little girl and a young rooster that she loves! But then again he is a mellow guy, we had a big EE that was extremely aggressive and used to bow up to me when I'd go out there and try to flog me, so he was sent off the auction barn, it all de ends on the rooster, just like people every one of them are different with there own personalities and attitude

Quote:
Totally agree! I have made 3 incubators for our kindergarten teachers (my son is now in first grade) and they love them and they work perfect!!
The grand cost 50.00 for all three.
They bought the egg turners out of their science budget.
Ayda

I tested them at home before I took them in

Quote:
I appreciate you point. I would never keep a roo against his wishes. My hope is he will "come around."
fl.gif
When we started the whole "chicken project," as he calls it, he wanted NOTHing to do with the chicks. When they arrived he couldn't leave them alone.
love.gif
Now that they are feathering he is not quite as smitten, but still wants to give treats and hold them.

My hope is that we get a quieter roo so he realizes not all roos crow all the time. If he still says no, I will stick to day old chicks.....but eggs to hatch would be a bonus!
celebrate.gif

I wasn't insinuating that you would get one against his wishes but some wives and husbands will and a feud ensues. I completely understand how it is sometimes. DW has been caught many times staring into the brooder and in a daze in the yard watching the girls. Sometimes she sells chickens on people more than I do. That's why I said give it time. I have no doubt he'll come around. Many folks only have the experience of the Fair or show where there are roosters crowing continuously but when you have just one he has no one to compete with so he is quieter. Also some breeds do crow more than others.

As for roosters crowing my Nick is great. He's an older experienced boy and while they do begin in the wee hours he does not crow all day, all the time. He's a Delaware.

Personally I sometimes lay in bed waiting for the crow. It has a comforting affect on me. When the rooster crows I know that everything out back is ok.

When it does come time to hatch, let me know and I'll send you a copy of an article that I give out on incubating eggs.
wink.png

I wish you the best and for those hens who's hackles I got up , I am sorry,

Rancher

I wish you the best.

Last edited:
Have you considered checking craigs list for a used incubator. THey seem to be more available in the off season. Just be sure to know the retail price of a new one before agreeing to a price. I recently saw a $30LG advertised but it was 10 yrs old; a new one is about $50 with shipping charges.

I'm not recommending the LG for the novice hatcher--just siting an example about pricing .

DH loves the chickens, he sits and throws them corn. A nice quiet moment in a busy day for him. I was the one who hated roosters because I remember them waking me up while visiting an aunt years ago; I now have several ! One coop is 20 feet from my window and the boys start long before sun up. During the day the roosters in different coops talk to each other. Only one rooster is a problem and I get flogged, then I chase him until I catch him or he runs away. HE's just trying to protect his girls--I understand. My boys carry sticks and walk wide of him. I've talked to the boys about turning him into soup and the "No's! are loud.

Back
Top Bottom