Cheap metal sheds as coops?

I've used them, in upstate NY and in FL, they worked fine. They don't get too hot unless they are in full sun and it's well over 90, and they're easy to vent. With some deep litter and enough birds or a simple heat lamp, birds were comfy in the low teens. A yearly scrub out and cheap coat of Rustoleum keeps rust at bay for a long, long time.

The metal shed is a bad idea. They will trap suffocating heat in the summer to the point that the hens will refuse to go in at night. Within 2 years you will start having visible rust and it will become an eyesore.

Not true. Plenty of us use metal sheds with no issues. My granny used one for at least 50 years.

Last edited:
You frame in the arched ends and build a door on one end. It is 6'+ in the middle so plenty tall to walk around in.
The metal shed is a bad idea. They will trap suffocating heat in the summer to the point that the hens will refuse to go in at night. Within 2 years you will start having visible rust and it will become an eyesore.

As I said before, metal animal housing is common here in the Steamy Southeast. It's termite-proof.

ANY material will be hot if not properly ventilated.

I need something for geese, they're cold hardy but in a metal shed I don't wanna... Cook my goose.:eek:
Would a chain link dog kennel work? I'd board it in as I find scrap wood.

Last edited:
I need to upgrade my coop. My ideal coop would be a wooden utility shed, but reality is stopping me. Thousands of dollars for chickens to sleep and poo in only? With a family of 6, that money is more important elsewhere. I can build, but don't want that headache. With lumber prices the way they are, labor prices on top of that will probably be rediculous too if we had someone else build. While browsing for ideas, i came across a really cute metal utility shed. Of course it was much to small, but it got me curious. They seem rather flimsy looking, but they don't seem like they would be to difficult to stabilize and alter for ventilation. Come to think of it, it is a little concerning how i would rain proof those said vents and windows. I do have old lumber to build some framing and stability on the inside. Heat and cold wouldn't be much of an issue as they free range and won't be in the coop until it's dark and cooler. They don't go in the coop except to roost and lay, even in the winter. We don't have to harsh of winters, but figuring out heat if needed would be an easy fix. Insulation? Ah, we don't really need it here. Fans, heat... temperature concerns aren't top priority with a coop as those are easily addressed as needed.. Storms would be our biggest concern. High winds, occasional tornados, etc. I'm not so sure these would be the best storm proof options, but they're cheap for the sizes you can get! Lol. Anyways, looking for input. Opinions, ideas, etc. Has anyone tried them. Does anyone use them?
I live in southeast Michigan and use a metal shed as a brooder, grow-out area and house quail in it. Built a wood double Dutch door of which I mostly leave top half open in the warmer months. It’s in a shaded area when there are leaves on the trees. Wood floor with shavings (and a partial bale of straw I was gonna use in yard but chicks had different ideas). Poop trays under the quail cages. Normally I’d keep more separation between the chickens or ducks and quail, but I’ve not had issues and hope that continues. As others have said, lumber costs are obscene as the supply chain was drastically impacted by COVID. Metal is the way to go right now IMO - just modify it with wood to suit your needs. Level an area with some gravel, add shed which then becomes your coop for poop! Hope all works out for you whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom