1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cheap, romovable nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ilovemyduckies, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    So, I need ideas for removable and cheap nesting boxes. Right now, I have one laying hen and three 9 1/2 week old pullets. My one laying hen is just laying in a cardboard box in the garage (she was laying on the concrete until I figured out where she was laying). I am actually trying to move right now. The people who lived in the house before had chickens so there is a big chicken coop in the back yard. Although, it has no nesting boxes in it. So I want to add some for my girls. Although I want them to be removable because we are only renting. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Enclosed kitty litter boxes make excellent portable nests. They make it really easy to relocate broody hens. Frequently they can be located and purchased very cheaply at yard sales. I have a friend who was a municipal worker. On the annual 'clean up' day he would pick up several of these every year.

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    The plastic buckets that cat litter comes in. If you don't have a cat, ask around - I'm sure SOMEONE has a bunch that the've been saving because "they've just got to be useful to someone". I had them piling up in the barn long before I got serious about getting chickens.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Either of those would work great. I read about the litter boxes and am really considering them. I have three cats so I'll make sure to save the litter container next time. I actually have a small dog crate (of which my dog chewed of the door) that I could use. I'll see if I can find some cheap enclosed litter boxes and I'll probably use them. If only I had some right now, I've got a duck that (I think) is going broody and I will have to figure out how to move her if she does. I've get her nest in a box right now so it should be easier to move. Thx :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by