Cheap, romovable nesting boxes?

Ilovemyduckies

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
So, I need ideas for removable and cheap nesting boxes. Right now, I have one laying hen and three 9 1/2 week old pullets. My one laying hen is just laying in a cardboard box in the garage (she was laying on the concrete until I figured out where she was laying). I am actually trying to move right now. The people who lived in the house before had chickens so there is a big chicken coop in the back yard. Although, it has no nesting boxes in it. So I want to add some for my girls. Although I want them to be removable because we are only renting. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Enclosed kitty litter boxes make excellent portable nests. They make it really easy to relocate broody hens. Frequently they can be located and purchased very cheaply at yard sales. I have a friend who was a municipal worker. On the annual 'clean up' day he would pick up several of these every year.

The plastic buckets that cat litter comes in. If you don't have a cat, ask around - I'm sure SOMEONE has a bunch that the've been saving because "they've just got to be useful to someone". I had them piling up in the barn long before I got serious about getting chickens.

Either of those would work great. I read about the litter boxes and am really considering them. I have three cats so I'll make sure to save the litter container next time. I actually have a small dog crate (of which my dog chewed of the door) that I could use. I'll see if I can find some cheap enclosed litter boxes and I'll probably use them. If only I had some right now, I've got a duck that (I think) is going broody and I will have to figure out how to move her if she does. I've get her nest in a box right now so it should be easier to move. Thx :D

Back
Top Bottom