Cheap source of litter for using in deep litter method?

MedChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 25, 2011
Virginia (Zone 7)
Hello everyone! I've been using the deep litter method on my small coop for about 4 months. I shred newspapers and junk mail for the litter. I just built a bigger coop and expanded my flock from 3 to 12, and I just don't get enough junk mail to keep up any more! Where do others get the bedding you use? What's the cheapest?

Thanks!

I use confidential documents from work. I have one of those shredders which turns it into little bits rather than long strips. Mine isn't really deep litter though. I find paper packs down to much to build up the deep layer you need to get a deep litter system working. In my coop I just use the paper to make it easier to clean the poop out. In my run i use deeep litter but it is all garden waste. Most of it starts out as weeds which the girls eat what they want. It then rots down beautifully with their help. A bit oif scratch mix thrown in there to encourage them to stir it up works wonders.

For me shavings is the best. It is absorbant, not sticky, stays cleaner longer and smells fresh. Since you only clean out once or twice a year with deep litter method it is not expensive. I have a 6' x 10' coop with a poop board under the roost so most of the poo gets scraped up daily.

Leaves! I collect the bags left out in my neighborhood. Sometimes I chop them with my mower for softer nesting areas. I started out with pine shavings, so some of that is mixed in, too. I throw scratch or BOSS or whatever in and the hens keep it fluffed up and turned.

The leaves are a great idea! I bet I could get all of my neighbors' leaves for free. I was definitely planning to use the ones from our yard (once I get around to raking them up!)

Quote:
Philman!!!

that is brilliant, we have a similar compost site where free wood chips are always in supply in the fall.

I am going there Monday after work.

thanks
Jerry

Quote:
Philman!!!

that is brilliant, we have a similar compost site where free wood chips are always in supply in the fall.

I am going there Monday after work.

thanks
Jerry

Glad I can help !

Pine shavings/chips. $4.82 for 5 cubic square feet. That's pretty cheap to me.
smile.png

I start with pine shavings.

AND throughout the year I collect bags of grass clippings and fallen leaves.

So I always have dried grass/leaves to throw into the coop whenever needed.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom