Cheaper alt. to hardware cloth?

Quote:
Use 2x4 welded wire, with something small-meshed on the bottom 2-3'. If that is still too expensive, make it smaller (reducing the number of chickens accordingly).

Pat

Quote:

Section off a 10x10 area for an ultra-safe run using 100% 1/2-inch hardware cloth next to the coop within the larger run using 2/4 farm fencing . Let them out into the large area during the day. Hopefully the larger area will have lots and lots of shrubs, trees, ... hiding places.

Quote:
Sorry, but there's nothing cheaper than a one-time investment in 1/2-inch hardware cloth when it comes to your peace of mind and the safety of your chickens, especially if you're not home 24/7. See My BYC Page.

I used the 2" x 4" welded wire for the run with chicken wire on the bottom 18". The chicken wire is to prevent the chickens from reaching through the fence after grass, to slow down raccoons and such from reaching in (I don't consider it perfect protection from raccoons but it helps), and to keep baby chicks from going through the welded wire, should I ever get a broody. This is for daytime protection only. At night, they are locked securely in a very predator-proof coop. Unless you are building a very small run, it is very difficult to make a truly predator-proof run, but this arrangement will help a whole lot against most predators.

Quote:
Use 2x4 welded wire, with something small-meshed on the bottom 2-3'. If that is still too expensive, make it smaller (reducing the number of chickens accordingly).

Pat

That is my plan, but am in the process of finishing the 8x8 coop first.

we have a 6 foot chain link fence with chicken wire layered starting at about 4 feet heading the whole way down into a 2 foot apron. the chicken wire prevents reach threw and the chain link prevents tear threw. ours is all made of used stuff. what I would do if I was you would be search craigs list for used dog kenels and use chicken wire or hardware coth over the bottom.

I have been thinking about the 2X4 welded wire that is covered at the bottom with hardware cloth. There should be no need to "Cover" 2x4 welded wire. The hardware cloth is strong enough on it's own.

36 inch wide hardware cloth with 48 inch wide welded wire would give you the same protection, not double the cost of the bottom 36 inches and give you a 7 foot tall run. Do make sure the seam is secured very well.

My runs are wood for the bottom 24 inches. then all hardware cloth for the next 48 inches topped with another foot of wood. Wood costs approx twice as much as hardware cloth so it seemed like a real bargain.

I can also get 1"X1/2" welded wire from a local feed store for about 2 dollars a foot in 48 inch width. that works out to about 50 cents a square foot. That is about the cost of cheap plywood and looks a lot better.

I am not sure just how cheap people are looking for when it comes to building a coop and run. I know I know Free is not to cheap. But you simply are not going to get a lot lower cost for a safe run than hardware cloth. Maybe corrugated tin roofing material would be cheaper per sq. foot by a few cents. But short of just scavenging materials or striking a great deal. Cost of materials are not going to get a lot better.

We used 2" x 4" welded wire for our run. It keeps everything out except squirrels. I have seen 2" x 2" wire though, and if I would do it over again, I would use that. For the price though, I think the 2" x 4" is hard to beat.

I've heard of people using 2-3 pieces of over lapping chicken wire instead of the hardware cloth. Depending on how much your chicken wire is running in your area, this might be a more affordable option?

Back
Top Bottom