Cheaper Organic Feed? - Lettuce, Tomatoes, Mealworms, Etc.

Don't you have anything in your garden during the winter? Seems like you could grow kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts, collard greens, chard, lettuce, etc. for their greens. They don't really need tomatoes, they would be considered a treat and of course mealy worms would add to their diet. Where I live, miners lettuce pops up around January and the birds love it. Another early riser in the year is filaree. BTW, miners lettuce and filaree go well in your salads.

No, nothing in the garden for another month or 2.

LOL!

I'm up in MN, so you'll be seeing spring before we do. How's your weather today? Woke up to a balmy 22 below. Couldn't bring myself to check the temp with windchill. I am going to go out an take a nice stroll this afternoon when it hits 2 above, humming "Walking in a Winter Wonderland"

Chicken Canoe - have you converted to the dark side?? Growing fodder for your chickens now, eh?
highfive.gif

Stay warm, peeps!

Yeah, I try to start fodder once everything green is gone. Not tall fodder, just past sprout stage.

It was 0 this morning. Even with a heater on low on the back porch, it was 28 out there this morning, the first time it went below freezing this winter.

I was watching the weather this morning and saw something that has made me wonder the same thing for many years. Does anyone actually live in International Falls? And if so, why?

Sunny but a cold 18 degrees this AM. Gals were anxious to roam about, but I noticed they stand on one leg for a bit and switch to the other quite often. Not much snow, just a very cold ground. Reports are, we expect "2 - 10 degrees" tonight and extremely cold through the week end.

Yeah no outdoor garden here in New England. We are buried under 2+ feet of snow. Obviously we are used to the snow, but not this much snow and frigid temps for weeks straight.
I would love to see photos of what folks are doing to grow/ supplement their feed indoors this winter :)

Back
Top Bottom