Cheapest way to cover an extended run????

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
I have now 11 hens because a hawk (i suspect) killed my dominique today while they were free ranging. My run has been nothing but mud from constant rain so my husband layed down pallets which he covered with fine mesh to elevate them from being in the mud. He also put grass seed down so grass can grow up through the pallets for them but now they don't have direct access to the ground so we want to extend the run and cover it to keep my remaining girls safe from hawks. We have a big fence to put up but what is the cheapest way to cover it to keep hawks from attacking them?

Im not exactly sure. The run we have now is like 12x14 i think but totally covered. I was to extend it to give them access to grass but not sure how big the fencing is. Its big lol

I bought a thin plastic sort of fine plastic mesh from a hardware store in the garden section . It was a lot cheaper than wire and because it's lighter too I didn't need supports in the middle to stop it sagging. It won't stop a climbing intruder but has worked great to keep the Hawks and goshawks that do low flying over our yard out.

Last edited:
You are wasting your time and money building a fenced in grass area for your hens. You would need over 100 sq feet per chicken to even have a chance of it not turning into a mud pit. You could build multiple pens and do rotational grazing or just build a large wheeled tractor and move it around as needed.

Back
Top Bottom