Check my design before I build!!

pansophia

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
Minnesota
My husband and I are working on building our first coop in expectation of having two hens before too long. I'm trying to play architect (not the best idea!) and this is what I've come up with so far using Google Sketch Up software. (I'd never used it before so there are a few hiccups.)

The exterior is totally undecided - I just threw on the red siding for a fun barn look. The roof would extend out further (I told you there were hiccups!) on the front and be guttered on the back.

The front window would have a screen and some way of closing it during the cold Minnesota winters, I thought about a few inches of screen just under the roof on the front and back for ventilation, what do you think?

While the whole base will be mesh, the front edge will lift up to open into an extended run.

The dimensions are slightly off in that it's actually 4 feet wide and deep. The coop sits 2 feet off the ground.

coopright.jpg

coopleft.jpg

coopxray.jpg

We've started building but are only a few 2x4s into the process. Does anyone see any major errors or omissions? We plan on starting with two chickens but would like to be flexible to add one or two more.

Thanks!!
Kate

I agree with mlheran--you'll need a way to be able to clean the inside of the coop from time to time, and to fill feeders and waterers and so forth.

Also... I can't quite tell from the sketch... is there space beneath the nest boxes for the hens to be able to exit the ramp? It looks to me like you may want to scoot the nest boxes over a little just to give them room to start down, but as I said, I can't tell.

My coop is the same size, 4 x 4. I like the design of yours--cool!

cool.png

Looks a lot like the one I built based on someone elses design.

MVC-264F.jpg

MVC-274F.jpg

Works great for us!! The plexiglass window on the front is replaced with hardware cloth in the summer. And I put the nest box on the outside but then I don't have it cold in the winter like you. I also used one long box for the nest without the divider so the hens could lay close to each other rather than on top of each other when they both want the same nest. I think ya done good!

Last edited:
It's hard to tell but the ramp is on one far wall and the nest boxes on the other so there's about two feet of floor space. The opening for the ramp is 12"x18."

We plan to hinge the roof and possibly one side wall for cleaning.

It's inspired by all the many designs I've researched. I just took the basics and sketched up what looked right.

Google Sketch Up is a fun program to play with!

From what I've read, it is best to elevate the nest boxes off the floor to prevent breakage and pooping on eggs. From your drawing it looks like you could easily lift those boxes 12" and tack them to the wall higher up, with virtually no modification of the basic design. Of course, you'd want to elevate the roost then too, because I've also read that if the entrance to the nest box is higher than the roost that the hens will sleep in the nest boxes. But again, looks like you have room to take your roost to 18" and still have 18" of hen-head room. No problem!

Nice design!

-MTchick

Are the nest boxes big enough? 1x1 seems small. What size hens are you getting? You could get by if you're getting bantams, but I think standard size birds would need 14x14....at least that's what I read, and built for my hens.
hmm.png

That's a great idea MTChick, this is why I figured I'd get input before building! (By the way, I hope to be an MT chick myself before long, my brother and sister-in-law live outside Billings with my brand new baby nephew. Hubby and I hope to move out their way in 2-3 years.)

chickflick, we'll likely get Rhode Island Reds or Buff Orpingtons. Most of the designs I looked at had 12"x12" nest boxes so that's what I assumed was standard but we certainly have room to make them a bit bigger.

In the Hobby Farms Chickens book, it says for standard chikens, a 14 inch cube works best. To tell you, I've got 12 in and 14 in, cuz I have silkies and standard chickens.... the Astrolorpes tried sitting in the 12 in ones, and it wasn't a good fit. They all use the 14 in ones now.... We're building a bigger, and hopefully better coop now, and I'll have 14 in cubes....or just one big community one.

I'm using 12x12 nesting boxes for my standards and they are working fine. Just make sure there is a lip at the front edge so the eggs don't roll out. Nice design, I think the girls will love it!

Back
Top Bottom