Check out my new chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DirtyPete, Dec 23, 2010.

1. DirtyPete

DirtyPete New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    Burlington, VT
  2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Its so cute!

3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Nice coop, but hate to tell you that chicken wire won't keep predators out, you might want to upgrade it to hardware cloth. Oh & [​IMG]

4. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Nice! Don't worry about the chicken wire if that fence around your yard is nice and solid.

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Looks great, your hens look happy!!

6. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG]

Looks great! Do agree with blueberrychickens, you should use hardware cloth. Racoons, dogs will go right through the chicken wire. Better safe then sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Quote:Nice Coop and I've got the same fence and the raccoons get over it just fine

8. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Ditto about the chicken wire being not good. Chicken wire is to keep chickens in an area. not predators out of the chickens. Coons and dogs can go through it fast. Think about changing it out or put hardware cloth over top of it. And don't just staple the hardware cloth down. Use screws with washers to fasten it down. The staples would be the weak link and easy for a predator to pull out. Nice coop and welcome to BYC!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  9. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Can i ask how many chickens do you have? I would also add hardwire around the base. Another idea is to place a radio in with them, as predators think there is a human inside. If you have more than 3 birds it looks a little small, do you have space to expand it?

10. mscynthia1969

mscynthia1969 New Egg

Dec 23, 2010
    I have lost two free range rooster and one hen to coyotes. To keep our chickens safe, I have a regular chain link fence - 12ft X 20ft dog kennel with a large tarp over the run. It's a full size 8 X 12 walk-in with three residential windows, and a full size door. There's a 10ft long perch with laying boxes and a roost acrossed the end. They also have electric lights / heat lamps for winter and a window fan for summer. I call it my chicken condo.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by