Check out these relics (pics)

All i got when we bought our house was a childs old grave marker
7736_trouble_001.jpg

some lumber and sheets of glass.

Quote:
Eek! Us too with the graves... we didn't realize our property was home to two children's graves. So sad. Here are the pictures:

Infant grave:
16101_cems_3-31-09_049.jpg

6 or 7 year old's grave:
16101_cems_3-31-09_045.jpg

I had someone from the county come out - she and someone else was writing a book about old graves in our county and she was able to help us determine names/dates.

Wow. I noticed when visiting old cemeteries that there are such a high number of very young children buried in them. Sometimes 2 or more from the same parents. What hardships some had to endure. I always wondered how I would have lived through it.

On a happier note, I'm going to attempt to download a picture of the huge old chicken coop that used to be here. We had to take it down it was so far gone. Major rot all over.
21251_pic022.jpg

It's not a great picture, I know. Looks like part of it is not even in the pic. My garden is now where this used to be.

THats is so awsome lumber Scoop. Will you use it for another project? But the concrete block would make me nervous.

That coop was taken down in 2004. We salvaged all the wood, nails, hardware, etc. that we could. You can see the coops we've built since on another thread under Coop Run and Construction, "Scoop's Coop" thread. It was all very labor intensive taking a building down, pulling out nails, cutting off rot from the boards, stacking, etc., but it's wonderful to enjoy the fruits of all that work.

Wow. I noticed when visiting old cemeteries that there are such a high number of very young children buried in them. Sometimes 2 or more from the same parents. What hardships some had to endure. I always wondered how I would have lived through it.

My grandmother told me the reason she had so many children was because in her day, only half your kids ever lived to adulthood. My mother has many resentful stories of her parents being very distant from their children until the kids were about 7-10 years old, at which point they suddenly became more friendly and interested. I remember this too, that my grandfather never hugged nor even touched young children, but once I was about 6 or so, he suddenly started giving hugs and kisses--and the change was so shocking to us kids that we were always sort of scared. Parents simply made an effort not to get very attached to children until they were past the age of childhood diseases.

My grandmother on my dad's side did lose half of her many children to diptheria, measles, mumps, flu, "the epizootie," scarlet fever and whatnot. It was sad, yes, but also very normal in those days. I see a lot of parents in these modern times, who don't appreciate what medicine has done to ensure that losing a child is a rare event nowadays, who think that infectious diseases back in the olden days "weren't that bad."

When you think about it, this is also sort of the reason that public schools don't start until a child is age 5-6: There's no neurological or developmental reason that you can't start teaching a child reading, foreign language, basic math, shoe-tying etc. before the age of 5-6, and many parents send their children to private schools or Head Start for that purpose. But in the pre-vaccination days, you didn't invest very much in a child who hadn't come through all the childhood diseases--you wouldn't bother sending a kid to school if they weren't likely to survive and be useful to the family. So you waited until they had been infected and survived every infection under the sun, and then put the effort into education.

</thread drift>

Anyway, awesome antique poultry stuff! Have fun with it!​

Back
Top Bottom