Check this coop please?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mamatoes, Mar 11, 2016.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    1. They have too many chickens for that size coop.

2. I agree with birds4kids

2. mamatoes

mamatoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2016
    Ontario

Yes I understand they have too many birds. They have 12 in that tiny space! I want 6.
    I understand it needs more ventilation and work on floor framing. Other than that is it ok? And if we adjust the size to work for us? I can't find any plans for a coop I want

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

That will be tight, especially in Canada with bitter cold temps and snow. Most chickens won't walk on snow so the size of the run won't help unless you shovel it. When chickens are crowded, there are bad behaviors that surface, like pecking and cannibalism.

FWIW, we have 6 chickens, the coop is 8 x 18 (1/2 - 8x9 for the chickens, other 1/2 for storage). The run is 8 x 16.

Many chicken keepers don't have covered runs but I am so happy we covered ours. The roof allows it to be used year round. It's not muddy (or stinky!) and they're out there even during rains or snow. In winter there is a clear tarp blocking the wind/rain/snow on the north side (the first half of the 16' long side). We do deep litter in the run, so we just keep adding whatever is available for the season and the run stays nice, dry and usable.

4. mamatoes

Feb 29, 2016
    Ontario
    [​IMG]

Would this plan work if I make it bigger? Say 4x6?

5. swanny297

swanny297 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    Here is ours I just finished drawing up for 6 it is 4ft wide the entire length
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. mamatoes

Feb 29, 2016
    Ontario

Ha I literally just saw you post that on another board and I took a screen shot. I love it! But how to build? Like framing and what not? Otherwise that's really cute!

7. mamatoes

Feb 29, 2016
    Ontario
    Wo

Would the slanted roof be fine for snow? Like not gable style?

8. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Yep, just make sure it has enough pitch to it. Roughly plan for the tall side to be 2x as tall as you were planning the peak of your gable to be.

9. swanny297

swanny297 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    Coop corners will be 4x4 the rest of the framing will be 2x4 using all treated wood. Similar framing in the coop as a mini house, probably 12" centered studs - I will probably use prefab siding panels for the coop. Roof and floor will be treated plywood - shingled roof and nesting box roof - 3 nesting boxes centered in back - run will be 8ft long and probably 40" high just depends how high the run door ends up, all framed with 2x4s, panels on top of run will be hinged to open and the end of the run will open to allow them to free range wrapped with 1/2" construction cloth I just finished pricing what I need looks to be about 400-450 - I live in La so I don't have to worry about snow we get rain and I didn't want a gable roof that would run off into run

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    The slant roof is okay. No matter what you do you'll probably have to shovel snow off of it a couple times during the winter. I live in northern Michigan and I have a 45 degree pitched steel roof on my coop and I still had to rake the snow off of it a couple times. [​IMG] the picture isn't the best but that's my coop. 4X8X8 . I built my tall so I could walk in it for ease of cleaning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by