1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

check this out on turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by roosty, Apr 3, 2009.

1. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    I found this....read the part about turning eggs. It says stop turning at day 15 not 18?? [​IMG] Even the temp it says sounds a little off to me. Up to 103* for forced air? And up to 107* in still air? Am I reading this right??
    http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/pfs35.pdf

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

One of the things you'll learn, is that not everything is set in stone, and different ways work for different folks. Oh, and EVERY University, and Ag Extension office is going to have their own information, usually differentiated by a misplaced period, or a difference of half a degree.... LOL

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Interesting... it also says you should have a higher humidity?

I wonder if that is especially true for desert climes?

4. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, what that little tear sheet was saying was that forced air should be at 99.5 to 99.75 F with lethal temps starting at 103. Not that you should incubate at 103, just that the little guys are no longer viable at that temp. Still air lethal temps start at 107. They are adjusting for the layers of heated air in a still air incubator.
    The paper did mention stopping turning at day 15. I wonder if anyone has ever tried this?

5. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

btw, I did go back and look at the date on that paper- 2000. It's almost ten years old and I am wondering if it's actually older than that as not one of their resources has a website listed. Makes me crazy that folks don't date stuff that's posted on the internet. You could be reading something the early 1900's and not realize it if it's not dated. Sorry, just a small pet peeve:barnie [​IMG]

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

It is confusing, it says to allow the heat up to 103, yet that is lethel in one of the types of incubators...what gives? Then the humidity.
    I assumed that you kept the humidity lower while developing and then up towards 75% on hatch day.

Do you think that who ever wrote this may have had his bi-focals wrong side up?

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Everything seems ok on there to me. The stopping turning early is new but the rest is the same as other people are doing. The temperature discrepancy is because of thermal layering in the still air incubator that does not happen in a forced air incubator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by