Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hey everyone! Sorry to be a downer but I haven’t been on here much since my two girls passed away. One died peacefully in her sleep, and the other was taken by a fox recently. Missing them lots now… Just wanted to say thank you to those who have helped me out as a new duck owner on this platform, as I will likely not be coming back here any time soon <3

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
All good here. Letting my chickens patrol my garden for bugs and worms. I just keep my young plants "caged" with poultry netting until large enough to withstand "chickens on patrol". I am busy and chickens are happy:wee

Hello! This is great idea 😀 I’ve been so busy the past year that I only jump on for research and then back to work. This group has been a huge help for me starting to build our “homestead”! So thankful for the wealth of knowledge and kindness here. 🥲 in the past two years we’ve bought a house/land, started a garden and mini fruit orchard, put up a two car garage, converted a one car garage into my Granny Flat (just about ready to move in), and built a chicken coop/barn! Thank you to all who contribute to the information available on this site! 🤗 pics of our projects attached!

Attachments

• IMG_9367.jpeg
    IMG_9367.jpeg
    695.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8378.jpeg
    IMG_8378.jpeg
    933 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7909.jpeg
    IMG_7909.jpeg
    820.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7879.jpeg
    IMG_7879.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9430.jpeg
    IMG_9430.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi!

When I joined this community, I started with 8 hens, and now I’m down to 4. Some were old and couldn’t take the heat, even though I did all the things. I’m hoping to get 4-5 pullets soon (as I don’t really have the space or mental capacity to raise chicks) so I’m excited that will be happening soon! My chicks are: Barbeque, Crispy, Spicy and Fried. We feel we want the next batch to be: Lemon, Orange, Teriyaki and Baked. Thanks for checking in!

My backyard chickens make me very happy. I am vegetarian, so I do not eat them, I love the eggs! My dogs are also happy, as I cook for them instead of feeding processed stuff, and they each get an egg every day.
The chooks do get weird diseases, and that's been a learning process. Sometimes I can nurse them through it, and sometimes they just go from sixty miles an hour to zero overnight. You just do what you can and replace them.
I keep everything real clean and used sand in the run. They are happy girls, and so am I!

Thanks for reaching out! As a college professor, this is a particularly busy time of year which conflicts with my farming duties, lol! I ordered 3 Plymouth Rock Barred ladies 2 years ago and was sent 4. I will never know who the "extra" chick was, but the dynamics among them is amazing. And with 4, it helped seal their namesakes: Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche and Rose! So, I am a mom to a group of 2-year old ladies who keep me (and the dog) on our toes. My kids and husband are not as involved in the daily activities, but that's ok, it's actually therapeutic for me to venture out to the coop/run and visit with them, clean up, collect eggs and deliver some fresh produce. Who does not love a group SO happy to see you, even if it's just b/c you are carrying some escarole?

This is Sophia, queen bee of the group. She is my gorgeous redhead! Here is there coop tucked safely inside a giant run. We put on the metal roof and doubled up on the 14 gauge metal cloth around the entire unit AND UNDER IT. Best thing we ever did. Fox left hungry and gross mice could not get in!

Yes, those are curtains and a chandelier inside the coop, but the curtains help with draft (winter we wrap the whole thing up) and the chandelier, well, it gives them a soft glow as they find their way to the roosting bar each night. There are automatic doors on the inner coop and in between the inner run and outer run, on a timer but also easy to control right from my phone no matter where we are, a WiFi speaker to pump in classical tunes, and a camera so I can make sure everyone made it inside before the doors closed.

If anyone told me even 5 years ago I'd have a coop in my yard, I'd thought they were crazy, but now I think it's crazy NOT to have them! They are a total joy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Hello! Everything is going well, i have a broody goose that I’m hopefully going to get babies from. My chickens are doing good, pretty spoiled. Well other than the broody goose in their coop.

I decided to add 20 new ones easter eggers, leg bars, and a few chocolate layers in January. They came mail order and all survived (until a hawk got one of them). I also had a rooster mixed in. I am new to having a rooster in the flock. He is an Easter egger rooster. Handsome fellow. I hope he fights off the hawk and doesn't cause any trouble. I had to kick out last years girls into the big coop with the older girls and that ended up working fairly well. Now I have two separate flocks kind of getting to know each other. I am looking forward to adding some green blue and chocolate eggs to my mix.
IMG_6496.jpg

Last edited:

HI. Im incubating eggs. Easter EGGER eggs. And some white leghorn eggs from an OLD hen. I dont think the leghorn eggs are viable. I will candle them all thoroughly on Sunday. The Easter EGGER Eggs i checked a couple of them on day 4 and you could clearly see veins and in one an eye i think? So those are well. So im up to chicken things … will probably buy some leghorn chicks from a hatchery in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom