Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Here is my crew (minus the rooster who is no longer with us). We've been doing awesome since we started in the chicken world. I've got a couple French Copper Marans coming in May to add to my beautiful egg cartons. They chase me around the yard for mealworms and come running the second they see me. Love my hens!
1000003178.jpg
1000003177.jpg

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Thanks for the invite to reply. I’m here - I read the forums when I get the email. Call me a “lurker.” Just busy since coming out of retirement. Next batch of hens out on grass and have a new bigger coop under construction. Turkeys and meet birds coming in July.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello, nice of you to check in. Still raising chickens, have 6 new chicks in the brooder, we are down to 2 full grown hens, so adding to our flock. We have been putting up netting over our enclosed garden area, had an eagle kill one of our chickens, was so traumatic for me, we are trying to make it as safe as possible for them. First time this has happened in 10 years. Wondering how old our chicks should be to release with the other hens?

I no longer have chickens or a backyard but I'm still a lover of pet chickens and hope to someday have a flock of rescues.

Hey guys!! I’ve definitely been busy, but I’ve got new birds!!

I currently have about 20 Rhode Island reds (2 are roosters), 7 australorps (5 black, 2 blue - all hens), a few Cochin bantams I recently got (Birchen, mottled, and self blue), an old English, a Japanese bantam, 2 Easter Eggers I’ve had running around for a while, and some blue birds that were labels as blue austalorp pullets at TSC, but 2 are roosters and have red on them as well as the blue coloring. I guess I should know by now to not buy my chicks from TSC by now. 😂 Oh, and I still have my Bielefelder rooster Bean!

I also recently got ducks to put in our pond eventually, and they are adorable!
How do your birds get along being different sizes?

I’ll snap a few pics of the girls tomorrow!

Hello-I received an invitation to post,so I will start off with some sad news-and happy news.First,on the 2nd of April,my little 16-year-old bantam black cochin rooster died of heart failure,after his last meal.He had a heart murmur for the last 6 years or so,but was still quite active and feisty,until about a month before his death.He was the oldest chicken I had to date,outliving my 15-year-old partridge cochin hen(full size),my 14-1/2 year old brown leghorn,and my 13 year-old golden sebright.He had just celebrated his 16th birthday right before he left.He will be sorely missed.
I also lost my pal Jerry 2 months ago from a sudden heart attack as well.I had rescued a pair of red sex-link roosters,Tom and Jerry from some people who could not keep them--because these two "naughty boys" would not leave the geese and ducks alone!They were quite a pair,a comedy team that lived up to their cartoon character names!I got them home,and-true-to-form,they were in hot pursuit of my geese! But they were a friendly pair,and instead of wanting to be with the other chickens--they followed me around the shop in my barn! Now,I just have Tommy,who has found friendship(sorta) with one of my Americauna roosters,but it's just not the same without Jerry.He was the real life-of-the-party.
On the good side,I just acquired some new chicks from the feed store for the first time in several years.Last year,after I had moved to a much better location with a fixed-up barn,there was one baby that was born after my feisty little mixed-breed bantam boy bred with one of my red-star hens.My baby girl just turned one year old this last April 6th,and is doing well,just a bit on the small side,though,after a bit of a rocky start.One of my new chicks this year,turned out to be a very rare breed Svart Hona hen--and she is growing very large,very fast!About a third bigger than the other "girls" she is with.I would like to get more Brahmas,they are my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom