Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We’ve been doing well here, I think I gradually got a handle on it and had less questions to ask! We’ve pulled ourselves offline, mostly, and seem to be in endless activities!

The hens are doing great, though, but I actually fought an eagle recently who tried to swoop in and take my smallest one!

Hey guys, been more busy than usual so checking in here way less often. Chickens are now 4 years old, about 8 each of Jersey Giants and barred rocks, plus about 3 to 4 golden comets. Egg production is about 6 eggs per day.

Should be buying new chicks this year, but am reluctant due to time constraints

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello! It’s been a busy year or two. We’ve had hawk and fox attacks and lost several of our girls. A year ago we added nine more chicks and added a huge outdoor run attached to the run that has a roof. Both run are enclosed with hardware cloth. We haven’t had any problems since. The girls are happy and I’m not a worried mother hen anymore.

Well.. when I joined this group I had 4 chicks.. it's been like 5 years and I have 11 girls and 2 roos.. one of my girls is from my original group.. it's been a fun journey. Had ups and downs but 1 thing for sure is I will always have chickens.. here is just 1 pic of the most recent addition.
What an interesting looking chick, what kind is it? It looks very solemn.

Hi everyone,
I lost my job so had to move to the city. No more chickens for now. My dad had all my last hatched babies and they grew then someone's dog killed most of them. :barnie
Hope to be back homesteading and hatching baby chicks and ducks again someday.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Well, sadly I’ve had a significant life event 2 years ago. My significant other of 11 years passed away just 2 days before his 53rd birthday. 8 months later I decided to leave the upstate of SC where I had lived for 27 years and move back to my home state of Florida. Sadly I had to sell all of my chickens but luckily I was able to find them all a good home with the same person.

I’m settled in my new home now, just me and my 2 big fur babies. I don’t live in a neighborhood with a HOA so if I decide to, one day I can get more chickens one day. Someone near me has them because I had a black hen visit my backyard right after I moved in.

Been a weird winter leading into a early spring in my neck of the woods, at least that's what the farmers believe all busy getting crops in the fields where they can. My flock of chickens has had a few unfortunate subtractions along with additions that evened everything back to normal. My ducks have encountered the same and currently there is a pair of hens sitting in a rather large clutch of mixed chicken duck eggs that I'm gonna let nature take its course primarily because I don't have an incubator at the moment. I don't really need any more ducks but I do know a fellow that would enjoy a flock since his loss of his geese. Well that's the short of the long story of what's been up. Hope everyone is doing well! Oh on a side note does anyone have a free patter for decent goose diapers??

We used to have buff orpingtons but thought they didn’t lay much eggs. So we got some barred rocks, they are much more productive at laying. 2022/2023 winter was stressful with our flock being decimated by a neighbour dog and a mink. My hubbys sister gave us her chickens! We had 24 then a fox jumped the fence and got a few. We now have 19 and they are full on laying now (we have barely any sun in the winter so they don’t lay then). We used to set up a light in their coop but decided not to the last couple years as the eggs just freeze anyways!

Back
Top Bottom