Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Hello all its been a while, became busy with a new job and adopted my flock away. Thinking of starting over again with some ducks.So many blackberries always sprouting up in my yard tho, last time my birds got bumble foot. Wishing I could find someone to make duck shoes.

Hello everyone.

I've been busy learning and caring for my chickens. I lost one last year, found it in the backyard with the head clean torn off and lying a few feet from the body, no blood. They used to free range back then but I've built a coop since then. I was pretty traumatized for a while, still am but adopted another since then.

I love the weekly email with all the various useful information!

Well, hello again, everyone. I haven't been active much with our chickens. With our first flock, my family would sit in lawn chairs in the chicken yard and the hens would hop up on us. Our first rooster was a sweetheart who would snuggle with us—Buckeyes are supposed to be very friendly, so we just thought that's how they all were. Then a bobcat wiped out the entire flock. 😥

We hatched five of their eggs, two of which were roosters, who are traditional rooster jerks. We can't turn our backs on them or they attack, so no more sitting in the yard and relaxing with chickens! No amount of "conditioning" no matter the method has convinced the boys to change their ways, although if I carry a rake with me, they don't charge (it's a visual deterrent). Our first rooster died trying to protect his girls. On challenging days, I'm tempted to let the sons "free range." 😄

Hello, I'm still living my day-to-day life. We hadn't had chickens for a year or so but we just got two cuckoo maran pullets. Tiny little eggs so far, but one a day each. So, I'm back to backyardchicken-ing. No photos right now, I'll post some soon.

Angela

Attachments

• 20240427_122640.jpg
    20240427_122640.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240427_122758.jpg
    20240427_122758.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 2
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello everyone! Planning the garden this year with the girls in mind. 1 full row dedicated to growing some lovely greens for them. Will post pics with their home grown treats this summer.

I've been without my chicken family for so many years! I actually am allowed to have 3 chickens here in a Sacramento residential area, but don't have a big enough back yard for flower and vegetable gardens and an enclosed chicken yard. Am close to the Sacramento river, so lots of things that would eat chickens - like hawks and even the feral cats. My three little dogs have never seen a chicken - but I would not trust them.

Just waiting to get our chickens in June. Very excited!

We’re doing good here!
Much thanks to BYC for being here when we have questions👍

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpeg
    IMG_6576.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6574.jpeg
    IMG_6574.jpeg
    969.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom