Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hey everyone! Have been all good here, thanks for checking in. I have no birds at the moment, we lost all of our chickens to some predator all in the night in November. Here we’re probably not going to get any chickens for awhile until we rebuild and predator proof our chicken coop.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Tons of fun colored babies this year!

Attachments

• pastel day 3.JPG
    pastel day 3.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 2
  • cadbury day 1.JPG
    cadbury day 1.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 1
  • kit day 1.JPG
    kit day 1.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
We're still here and the girls are all happy and healthy. I was turned off for while there by the lack of sentiment towards the wildlife I observe on some of these posts. Here's my two cents.
We live in the middle of Nat'l Forest lands surrounded by predators of all sizes and ilks. We believe if we want our hens to thrive, we need to maintain a secure coop and run for the dangerous periods of time which occasionally visit us. We don't "blame" the foxes, bobcats, martens, mink, hawks, etc that would eat them and would do no more than live trap them and move them away. If you kill one critter, there are always more out there so find better solutions.

Not too much good news. I live in the center of town but am surrounded by groups of trees. First lost 6 chicks to a puppy that I had adopted from Mayfield animal shelter. Had to return her. She was a chi/terrier. then something killed my rooster boy who was left from the second group that Peanut killed. Left his girlfriend alone and was such a loner. My 7 grown girls picked on her. My 7 goofballs slept on top of the coop instead of in the coop. Then I lost 3 more girls. During this time, last month I trapped a racoon and then an opossum. the racoon after Darcy from the animal pound took it to a vet found that the racoon had Parvo. So, now I have 10 babies that are about 3 weeks old and 2 baby ducks. So i have 4 I hope girl ducks, not sure, so far no curly tails. Oh and as it gets dark I have to go out and grab each of my 6 remaining girls and throw them into the coop and lock them up. My 4 4month old duck girls do not seem to be bothered, yet they sleep outside huddled together.
I'm so sorry about your chickens. :hugs I hope all your new babies stay safe. We are glad to have you back!

27Apr2024:
The chicken flock is 8 hens right now; 2 Danish Brown Leghorns, 2 Sapphire Olive Eggers and 4 Olive Eggers. I'm also closely monitoring my backyard Western Screech Owl nestbox with an IP camera right now, as this year's crop of 5 owlets is going to fledge within the next few days. For other activities, On Fridays, I feed and health-check Tundra the Snowy Owl at Washington State University.

Attachments

• HDKC 29Apr2024 095420 (Mom + 5 Owlets).jpg
    HDKC 29Apr2024 095420 (Mom + 5 Owlets).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • Doug & Tundra 19April2024-162603.jpg
    Doug & Tundra 19April2024-162603.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for reaching out @Nifty-Chicken ! All is well here in cajun country with my girls. I finally started letting them all out to roam around the yard a few hours a day instead of being cooped up in their run. They love jumping up trying to reach the mulberries and I get a kick out of watching their attempts!

Attachments

• 0314240905a.jpg
    0314240905a.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 0304231608_HDR.jpg
    0304231608_HDR.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 0302231130_HDR.jpg
    0302231130_HDR.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 0414241232a.jpg
    0414241232a.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 0314240931_HDR.jpg
    0314240931_HDR.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0607231903.jpg
    0607231903.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for reaching out @Nifty-Chicken ! All is well here in cajun country with my girls. I finally started letting them all out to roam around the yard a few hours a day instead of being cooped up in their run. They love jumping up trying to reach the mulberries and I get a kick out of watching their attempts!
Your hens are so pretty! Mine do the same with the blueberries…it’s hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom