Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Life has been, well life. I've got a new set of ladies, who are now a bit over year old and laying like crazy. Thanks to a neighbor's dog had to start over. This group is very curious, but shy. I went several months without any fluffy butts and so am enjoying having them again.
Sorry for your losses but congrats on the new birds

Life has been busy. My little one started school this year but after 3 years we have chicks again. Currently raising 10 little one plus my 5 full size hens.
Aw, congrats! Isn't the sound of chucks chirping happily so satisfying to listen to? Thanks for checking in!

Life has been, well life. I've got a new set of ladies, who are now a bit over year old and laying like crazy. Thanks to a neighbor's dog had to start over. This group is very curious, but shy. I went several months without any fluffy butts and so am enjoying having them again.
Welcome back! It sounds like you have an awesome bunch there! So sorry about your previous loss. I'm glad that you are willing to have more again. They sure do bring in a lot of joy.

Looks like I'm not the only one that's been incognito. I don't have any recent photos of my chickens. We are down to 4 from 15. We've had a resident coyote systematically cull my flock this past year. I believe a neighbor finally was able to "trap it". I've decided to replenish the flock with Easter Eggers. We have two that have managed to escape the predators because they are well, "chicken" and hide and run from everything. And they are fast. I've favored Isa Browns, because they are friendly and great layers. But I think they are inviting the predators in for lunch only to meet their demise. It's been a tough year for chickens on our two acre homestead.
Homestead update! nothing exciting was happening on the farm until about an hour ago. One of our Runners emerged with 5 baby ducklings! I hope they survive!

Attachments

• runner babies.JPG
    runner babies.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 3
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Incubating and hatching since early February. First hatch was for a neighbor from my own flock. Sadly, shortly thereafter my 8 year old roo passed away suddenly. I sure miss my Sarge. Second hatch are now 6 weeks old, fertilized Barred Plymouth Rock eggs that I purchased from Meyer Hatchery. About 2 weeks ago one of my Olive Eggers, Zsa Zsa, decided to go broody again. She went broody at 7 months last year and was a great momma to 6 chicks. Tried to discourage her for about a week this time but she is determined. Seeing that I haven't had a rooster around for quite awhile I decided to barter with another neighbor for fertilized eggs that she is now sitting. Say hello to Zsa Zsa and RIP my buddy Sarge.

Attachments

• Zsa Zsa.jpg
    Zsa Zsa.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180608_175855.jpg
    20180608_175855.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi all. My 4 girls have been doing well. 2 actively laying and 2 retired. One of the retirees (a RIR) is a struggle as it seems she gets a poopy butt often. We've given her baths monthly and butt feather trim. Fairly recently wormed. Get fermented food and probiotics. After bath a few days ago, I put some miconazole on and around her vent, and hoping that will help. Otherwise, the other 3 seem to be doing very well. Enjoying the spring weather here in the pacific NW.

Attachments

• tempImagejhonNA.png
    tempImagejhonNA.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 1
Incubating and hatching since early February. First hatch was for a neighbor from my own flock. Sadly, shortly thereafter my 8 year old roo passed away suddenly. I sure miss my Sarge. Second hatch are now 6 weeks old, fertilized Barred Plymouth Rock eggs that I purchased from Meyer Hatchery. About 2 weeks ago one of my Olive Eggers, Zsa Zsa, decided to go broody again. She went broody at 7 months last year and was a great momma to 6 chicks. Tried to discourage her for about a week this time but she is determined. Seeing that I haven't had a rooster around for quite awhile I decided to barter with another neighbor for fertilized eggs that she is now sitting. Say hello to Zsa Zsa and RIP my buddy Sarge.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope ZsaZsa will hatch you another wonderful rooster.

Back
Top Bottom