Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Thanks for reaching out @Nifty-Chicken ! All is well here in cajun country with my girls. I finally started letting them all out to roam around the yard a few hours a day instead of being cooped up in their run. They love jumping up trying to reach the mulberries and I get a kick out of watching their attempts!
Glad to hear all is well out in cajun country!

I bet those beautiful girls (GREAT PICS) are loving the new freedom!

Hi
I'm still here, very busy with poorly human. I lost my Mirto ( Cemano Cockerel) and one of his "wives" last summer due to the excessive heat we had so trying to make sure the flock will be cool this year as it looks like it will be another hot long summer.

Hey everyone! My wife and I newly joined the raising chickens world! We got 3 Marans, 3 olive eggers, and 1 Amaraucana. I started a live stream through twitch that i would be honored and love if you guys would check it out! I would love to see anything anyone else has too! We have loved getting into this community! Check us out at
Attached i put some pics i took of our little flock when it was nice out we took them to see their new coop when theyre big enough! Any suggestions or ideas we would love to hear! happy flocking!

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4337.jpeg
    IMG_4337.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 1
Hola,
Thank you for tagging me. Unfortunately and sadly, I no longer have my chooks… I rehomed them last summer. My very healthy 75 yo mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last summer, and the prognosis was grim.

It was also accurate.

She entered the hospital with a belly ache (literally) and was discharged 2 weeks later with a stage four, 90-180 days-to-live diagnosis.

After that wallop, and being I was my moms main caretaker, I mustered the girls and gave them to a lovely young couple with two young children.

It was a good & necessary choice.

We got mom into City of Hope and their assessment was not much better. But, they did have a treatment that *might* be able to extend her comfort and life but we were still at a very ugly 3-18 months, if the chemo worked…

It did not work. Mum went down hill extremely fast. She decided to enter hospice just before Thanksgiving. She died here at my home on 12/3, 92 days after her diagnosis.

I’m in the process of cleaning out her home in anticipation of putting it up for sale later this year, and also deciding if I should do the same with my home. We lived 5 houses apart… and there’s really no reason for me to stay in this area with mom and grandma (2022 @ 99.5years old) now gone. Mom and I had just finished clearing and selling my grandmothers house just before the diagnosis.

It’s been a rather terrible 2 years.

Most of what is left of my family lives in Hawaii (Big Island)… I’ve been scoping out land and thinking I may like living on a volcano.

I’ll be back, eventually. Especially if I decide to go Hawaiian. The south end of the big island has a large and growing homestead small agricultural community.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Please go hug your people.

🫶 and all the best,
Kali
Kali, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope moving will bring pleasure back into your life. Don't stay away just because you no longer have chickens. We are here if you need a shoulder.

Hi
I'm still here, very busy with poorly human. I lost my Mirto ( Cemano Cockerel) and one of his "wives" last summer due to the excessive heat we had so trying to make sure the flock will be cool this year as it looks like it will be another hot long summer.
I'm sorry for your losses. I'm not looking forward to summer. Last year was particularly brutal because we didn't cool off at night. It makes chicken keeping a challenge.

IMG_6601.jpeg
IMG_6855.jpeg
IMG_6851.jpeg
All good here. My flock of 13 hens is aging nicely. The youngest are 3 years old and the oldest is 8. They are all still laying except for a 2 hens who probably have something major going on. Vet says likely cancer but they are still doing everything else that chickens do and seem happy so far. Here’s a few recent pics:

Back
Top Bottom