Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Just had my 76 year old ankle replaced so I'm not seeing much of my little flock.
Welcome back to BYC! Wishing you a speedy recovery! And hope you can see your flock soon!
I have friends caring for them. Today my really large rooster jumped up expecting to be hand fed some goodies and startled the crap out of my friend, Sarah. Nearly all of my girls will come to be hand fed, and when I got the new rooster, he stood around watching them getting all the fancy goodies--bits of cheese, juicy grubs from the garden, strawberry tops, etc. One day the girls were all gathered around my feet when the big boy pushed his way in to get his share. I know dogs and horses are observational learners, but this was quite a surprise. Can't wait to get back to see my little flock.
Seems like they are spoiled I bet they love it!

It’s been awhile since I’ve been here! I only have 6 girls right now, but we are soon moving to a larger space and I have 15 coming including a rooster, which I am so excited to finally be able to have!
Here’s some pics of our first chicken home and the ladies.
Welcome back to BYC! The new home and chickens sound exciting!

Hi there! What a great idea to reach out. This is a great community service <3
We are on our second community of chickens over four years - our four lovely Issa Browns died, over the last two years, the last one to go was the dominant, 'Roostie'... beautiful birds and great layers and, alas, bred for the industry, we heard, so short lifespans.

Now we have three rocs - one barred roc, and two others - two years old - healthy and happy, it seems - but the last four months they've barely been laying! One egg a day! Though, all three are laying - so each is only laying 1 egg every 3 days. And one of them, the shell is too thin, though they get added calcium and the other two's shells are hard. Any thoughts?
Welcome back to BYC! Im sorry for your losses. I would say continue with the calcium you might also want to post a thread to ask some of the experts. I wish you luck!

Hello!
Updated some coops lately for chicken and quail. Also getting my first ducklings soon! I am super excited. Chickens out foraging and new quail are hatching as I type this. Had the coops for 8 years on the big one and 7 years on the quail one.
View attachment 3813110View attachment 3813111
Love the coops! Im sure your animals love them as well! Ducklings and quail sound super exciting! I wish you the best of luck!

Holy cow, been a while since I was here.

I got the message and was like "Wait what?"

Currently I have no poultry, used to have ducks, geese, chickens and such at one point but yeah with a move planned poultry may be off the table for a long time.

I am however into beekeeping, and reptile/aquarium keeping these days along with exotic invertebrates.
Welcome back to BYC! Sorry you no longer have any poultry. Beekeeping sounds fun reptiles and aquariums are cool! We have reptile and fish threads here on BYC!

@retired farmgirl, welcome back! What have you been up to?
Hello. Worked for a year but now fully retired. My “sanctuary “ has grown a bit. Up to 44 chickens (8) roosters, 8 ducks, 12 goats, 15 turkeys, 5 guineas, about 10 cats, and 2 great farm dogs. Keeps me busy!
I do have a question. One of my turkeys has chronic bumble foot. Would meds help at this point?

No, unfortunately I have no clue whose dog it was. There was some vineyard workers across the street from us both days the dog was present , so I’m thinking it could’ve been theirs??

We have three dogs that are around the chickens all the time, which I think had their guard down.. poor girls.
Sorry about your losses glad the others are doing ok.

Hi Nify,
Thanks for checking on me. I haven't been on here because my wild ducks have grown and have moved on out of their mom's apartment. LOL!
Just a few weeks ago, a dog killed a mamma duck that left 5 of her eggs on a nest that we've been watching. I brought them in and put them in my incubator. Oh boy..here we go again!
I knew it was close and 10 days later...all 5 hatched and are doing well.
Muscovy's must be really hardy because my first rescue of 3, all 3 hatched and after training them to go to the pond, etc..., they all thrived. One, has become a mamma herself.
This next batch all hatched fine as well. I read where usually there's only a 60% hatch rate. I have no idea because I don't have a clue.
They are two weeks old now. Just started putting them outside in my make-shift duck coop for a few hours.
At night they are back in the spare bedroom. Not easy with 4 dogs that would like to eat them!
Welcome back to BYC! Those little ducklings are cute little things! Glad you were able to rescue them!

Back
Top Bottom