Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hi there. I haven’t been around this site for a while now cause I moved from a rural property and now living in a unit it the city. All my gorgeous girls were given to a friend still living out west. I miss them dearly and struggle to find eggs that compare
Welcome back to BYC! Sorry you had to give up your girls hoping you can get some more one day.

Life has been crazy. Haven't had any chickens for a few years. Raising grandbabies, fighting cancer, mostly winning. I have however gotten a dozen new chicks to get extra motivation this year. Had two turkeys chicks but one passed. I'll post pictures later. They're only a couple weeks old. I hope everyone else is doing well.
Welcome back to BYC! Sorry about the cancer glad your beating it and I'll pray for you! Congrats on the new chicks and poults sorry one of the poults passed I'd love to see pics!

looking at that brood of chicks, i spotted a few chipmonks, our 1st brood of 6 had 4 of them, a jet black and a little yellow one that turned out white and our best layer (egg size) from a buff orpington, all from the male in my avatar, all 6 were tailess, and the 4 chipmonk marked ones were male. we only selected 6 eggs to hatch, the largest tan from our orpington and 5 blue ones. although the orpington chick was quite a bit larger than the other 5 as a young bird and a bit fatter, as the buff orpington is a meat and egg bird. she was the most active runner in the garden for chasing flies.
Welcome back to BYC! Sorry you got a almost all male hatch hoping you can get some better hatches!

Hey all,

Time passes quickly. It was a rough winter weather wise up here in Maine this year. We had a spring Nor’ Easter that brought down a good dozen big pines around the property. The clean up has been arduous.
My gentleman (in the pic) rooster passed away in January suddenly. He stopped crowing and four days later he was dead. I also lost one of my six hens in April, again suddenly. The remaining five seem healthy and active.

I was hoping that this flock would be self sustaining…but, that never happened. When the rooster alive, the hens weren’t broody and they still have no desire to set on the eggs.
I’m just too busy around the property to raise more chicks and introduce another rooster to the flock. Besides, the five remaining girls are keeping up well with our egg consumption.
Question for anyone who has read this far: What breed is a good broody, cold weather and decent egg laying chicken?
Take care all,

Jim

Hey all,

Time passes quickly. It was a rough winter weather wise up here in Maine this year. We had a spring Nor’ Easter that brought down a good dozen big pines around the property. The clean up has been arduous.
My gentleman (in the pic) rooster passed away in January suddenly. He stopped crowing and four days later he was dead. I also lost one of my six hens in April, again suddenly. The remaining five seem healthy and active.

I was hoping that this flock would be self sustaining…but, that never happened. When the rooster alive, the hens weren’t broody and they still have no desire to set on the eggs.
I’m just too busy around the property to raise more chicks and introduce another rooster to the flock. Besides, the five remaining girls are keeping up well with our egg consumption.
Question for anyone who has read this far: What breed is a good broody, cold weather and decent egg laying chicken?
Take care all,

Jim
Welcome back to BYC! Sorry for your losses glad the rest are doing good. I dont own chickens so I'll leave that question to the pros

My gosh, it’s been a while. We’ve been so busy with farm life.

My daughter’s Salmon Faverolles and bantam Faverolles started hatching in March. We’ve since hatched a second batch of bantams and now have 5 pea fowl eggs and 30-ish guinea fowl eggs in the bator.

And that’s just the poultry side of things…we had 15 goats kid over the last 2 months with 4 more due the end of May. Then we are finished kidding and will be in the full swing of goat show season.

We were sick in February and had to miss the Greater California Poultry Show in Fresno. Definitely have it in the calendar for next year.

Anyone have any leads on shows in Norther California/Nevada?

Photo of one of my daughter’s bantam Faverolle hens for tax 😊

Attachments

• 935D5932-2C64-4560-97A3-D53AEE0C4367.jpeg
    935D5932-2C64-4560-97A3-D53AEE0C4367.jpeg
    898.6 KB · Views: 0
My gosh, it’s been a while. We’ve been so busy with farm life.

My daughter’s Salmon Faverolles and bantam Faverolles started hatching in March. We’ve since hatched a second batch of bantams and now have 5 pea fowl eggs and 30-ish guinea fowl eggs in the bator.

And that’s just the poultry side of things…we had 15 goats kid over the last 2 months with 4 more due the end of May. Then we are finished kidding and will be in the full swing of goat show season.

We were sick in February and had to miss the Greater California Poultry Show in Fresno. Definitely have it in the calendar for next year.

Anyone have any leads on shows in Norther California/Nevada?

Photo of one of my daughter’s bantam Faverolle hens for tax 😊
It does sound like a busy time for you!

The American Poultry association likely has a list of shows.

Back
Top Bottom