checking into my city ordinance

AhBee01

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
yo. ohio
All I could find on the subject was this

Can a property owner raise/shelter horses or other non-domesticated animals on residential property?

YES--A property owner can raise/shelter animals, exclusive of domesticated household pets, if the animals are sheltered one hundred (100) feet away from an adjacent residential house.

So if my neighbor, keeps calling the police on my ducks I think I will be ok!

Also was worried about the roosters I have 2!
We Live on almost 3 acres. We started a chicken duck, and goat obsession!
We have had another neighbor came up and start asking us if we would help them get started with chickens and goats!
I love it and my neighbor will hate it, btw my neighbor is my SIL!!!

Yeah, she did already, cuz my ducks went in her yard. Now mind you we never let them go across the street on purpose but they would stray over there, as soon as I realized they were missing I'd get them home!
They never really ventured more then 2 feet on her property, but sure enough she called the police and they came over and let me know she was complaining that there were always over there and and pooping every where and all kinds of lies! I was so hurt, because we go thru great lengths to keep our birds home!
Oh well, at least she can't try and have them banish my birds, (ducks or chickens) I was worried she would complain about the Roos crowing!

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I'm not licensed to practice law in Ohio don't construe anything I say to be legal advise (Hopefully I'll be getting my license in PA next summer though!!), but you might want to keep an eye on your wondering livestock...

Even though you're allowed to keep them, he/she could potentially bring a civil action in trespass against you for your wondering livestock. Below are some Ohio statutes that might apply, however, if you read them carefully they apply only to geese, not ducks.

From the Ohio Code:

§ 951.02. Animals running at large on public roads; grazing on another's land.

No person, who is the owner or keeper of horses, mules, cattle, sheep, goats, swine, or geese, shall permit them to run at large in the public road, highway, street, lane, or alley, or upon unenclosed land, or cause such animals to be herded, kept, or detained for the purpose of grazing on premises other than those owned or lawfully occupied by the owner or keeper of such animals.

The running at large of any such animal in or upon any of the places mentioned in this section is prima-facie evidence that it is running at large in violation of this section.

§ 951.10. Damages.

The owner or keeper of an animal described in section 951.01 to 951.02 of the Revised Code, who permits it to run at large in violation of either of such sections, is liable for all damages caused by such animal upon the premises of another without reference to the fence which may enclose such premises.

§ 951.99. Penalty.

Whoever violates section 951.01 or 951.02 of the Revised Code is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

I am more worried that she will try to have my animals evicted that go after them for trespassing, as I do have pens built to keep them in, and only free range them when I can be with them.
I can say they have never been on her property more then 10-15 min, and only when running indoors to check on my son, or to use the bathroom and such.
I don't let them graze over there on purpose.
I could understand her freaking out if my ducks and chickens were pooping all over the place and wondering around daily mucking up the area, but no one would even know I kept ducks if they didn't see them, I have them set up in my woods by the creek, and only when I let them out can they be seen.
Mostly it's the fact she is related, and my brother doesn't care if they wonder over, we grew up with animals!
I have gone to great lengths to keep them on my property.
We will be getting fencing up soon, and we just hope that clipping their wings will stop them from flying!
They are great escape artists! We have them in covered runs now.
I think it is more a family issue then a duck in my yard issue anyway.
Thanks for the heads up on the laws, I want to be prepared just in case she would go farther.
Good luck in your law pursuit!

Last edited:
Oh man Brenda that blows. I that the A-town or the Y-town code? Theroretticly i would need a permit from the healthdepartment . To get this i would need written permission from all my neighbors. They dont care about the ducks and chickens as long as they dont stink the area up and make noise.
You might need to get the area fenced into avoid any further conflict.

Conny, that was a-town! I haven't looked into y-town!
Yeah, the fence in coming, I just hope that they won't be able to fly over it!

I've checked my ordinance and am told since I am in an R1 I cannot have family poultry or poultry in general. I am wondering if the way around this, other than fighting the board for a zone change (augh) or conditional use permit (currently not available), purchase a bird that is considered an exotic fowl and allow me to bypass this rule.
he.gif

I live in a very rural community (we have no stop light) and have the approval of one of my neighbors - the house on the other side of me is for sale. Route 220 is in my front yard, the other road across the back. I live on 1/2 an acre and just want 3 laying hens to have in a chicken tractor/coop.

Any thoughts?
fl.gif

Get some really exotic or weird looking ones ilke silkies, frizzles.....
Oh and Brenda your kids(my ducks ) escaped under the fence the first day and ran across the road to a rottie,luckily a nice one.
I think you might have to clip their wings, you know how well the scovies can fly. Hey one last thing , the three are almost 4lbs right now and onlyhave a little red and thickening at the beginning of the bill, do you think they are boys or girls?

Conny you can tell by their size, are any bigger then the others, Can you post a picture? I can only tell if I see them, mine only have a small amont of red, but that comes with age!

Back
Top Bottom