Cheer me up, what are the GOOD things about pekins, mallards, buffs?

Everyone I know who's has pekins LOVE them for their personalities, they do kinda guzzle up the food though. We just have one pekin drake right now and have been looking for some pekin ducks to go with him (when they're mature enough) you have an amazing group of useful ducks! They really cover all the bases! Eggs, gourmet meat, and fast growing, most mallards are really good mothers too. But if you don't like them we live in east texas and would be interested in buying☺️

I would definitely suggest getting to know them before getting rid of them. Most people would kill for that starter flock!

And for future suggestions order welsh harlequin ducks! Seriously the most beautiful funny and friendly egg machines ever!
I really,want welsh harelequins and saxonys, and I ordered 3 appleyards but 1 died and the other 2 were not silver appleyards so they made a mistake. Anyways, that's on my short-long term plan! Problem is they are near impossible to find locally and they can't all be shipped at the same time from metzer meaning lots of small order fees/shipping costs each time. :(

I really,want welsh harelequins and saxonys, and I ordered 3 appleyards but 1 died and the other 2 were not silver appleyards so they made a mistake. Anyways, that's on my short-long term plan! Problem is they are near impossible to find locally and they can't all be shipped at the same time from metzer meaning lots of small order fees/shipping costs each time. :(
I've been having the same problem with the appleyards! Really want them (especially locally) but can't find em

I got my ducks from Sandhill Preservation. I got the variety pack like you. It was August and there were problems with the Post Office, so I lost a bunch of them. But I am happy with the variety I got. You might like to check them out. I got Rouen, Buff, White Campbell and Golden Cascade. My favorite is the one Ancona duck I got. I will be wanting more like her.

Attachments

• IMG_5345.JPG
    IMG_5345.JPG
    933.9 KB · Views: 15
I don’t have much experience with the other two but I do have Peking’s. I bought a bunch to supplement egg production while waiting for my khaki ducklings to lay, twelve Peking’s unsexed, two had crippled legs due to niacin deficiency, seven drakes (ahh there went my plan) and three ducks. The drakes and the cripples went to butcher, the one cripple was a female and she was actually one of the biggest ducks to go, and I don’t think it was because they didn’t get around, they were movers and I lost track of them a lot. The three girls I kept do a pretty good job laying, I think they are more reliable than my crested girl. Peking’s also have interesting personalities, my girls think my crested drakes is the cats meow, they are always with him and most of the time flirting. When they arnt with him they are either getting after the kahki drakes that are trying to mount the kahki ducks, they do a good job keeping the girls safe, or are goosing the geese(very funny)

I have only had ducks for 5+ weeks. Got them as ducklings at the farm store. Pretty much played the "I don't have one in that color yet, so I need one of each" game as I had no idea at first what breeds looked like or what I wanted. I have runners, swedish, mallards, a crested pekin (or something very large), another gray something, and a few others that haven't been identified yet. I like the mallards as ducklings anyway so much that I went back and got 3 more so I have 5 total mallard ducklings. They are definitely more skittish than the others, but they are also feisty, compact in size, big in personality, and show survival instincts that the others don't. I can't speak to how they are beyond 5+ weeks old yet... LOL. But I really like mine so far.

personalities depend on how you raise them, not the breed! i have pekin, khaki, and rouen and they are the sweetest ducks ever ❤️
was this class picture day :ya everyone got dressed up to be in the year book ?

I love the little jackets, I could just see myself going out to put little coats on them every morning (like everyone doesn't ALREADY think I am nuts!)

Wish I had seen those coats in the fall, not the spring, but now I have all summer to figure out how to make a coat for a Muscovy.

Back
Top Bottom