What color will this little one be?

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
My broody just hatched her clutch and I’m wondering what this one will look like. They are barnyard mixes mostly. (The one in question is the one with faint eye stripes - not the magpie marked one)
My drakes:
Black magpie or fawn/white runner
(Guessing it’s the f/w runner as the father)

Females:
Guessing either mallard egg, f/w runner egg, or welshie egg.
My other hens are magpie, Pekin, white layer, Cayuga, blue swedish.
I’ve been playing with the duck genetics calculator so that’s how I’ve narrowed it down to my likely possible parents. But I’m not sure what the lilac, dusky, etc colors look like so does anyone have any ideas and what it might look like grown up?

IMG_2147.png

9 total? so precious.:love mama looks to be doing a good job.
Yes! She started with 11 eggs, 1 I tossed a week or two ago. And 1 was a late quitter that was dead when I checked it tonight. 9 of 11 is the best hatch I’ve ever had and way better than any of my incubator batches. I love my broody mallard ladies (I have 2).

They really are and mama is probably making sure they start to learn all about living in the big wide world.
I have mine fenced off from the rest of my flock and the outside world so limited ability to interact with the big wide world right now. I have chickens (roosters and hens) as well as my ducks (drakes and ducks), and a lot of predators. I was afraid my roosters or drakes would kill them and my run is electric poultry netting so they could get out and get lost... best to keep them contained.

Always a good idea I keep my mama and ducklings separated from my flock too but where everyone can see each other, She can still start training even in small quarters. lol
Mine get to stay inside the coop with mama for their first week and she just chills out and lets her ducklings have the run of the place.

Back
Top Bottom