Cheese?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickaroo!, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    This afternoon I let my 3 chickens out to free range a bit. While sitting outside w/them I was eating a piece of Kraft American Cheese. Well, of couse, they HAD to see what I was eating. So, is cheese okay to give to a chicken? And I mean only a very small amount.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    There is nothing to worry about, small amounts of cheese are fine for chickens. [​IMG]

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens adore, really adore string cheese! Even the roo's and they typically only eat a few choice snacks but get the string cheese out and it's every chicken for her/him self. It's a good source of calcium and protien yet lower in fat than your american or cheddars.

4. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    My chicken love cheeses, and anyhting with cheese! They will also eat the rinds off cheeses that are not good for people (OK to eat, but too hard and not very popular!).

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I just gave mine some crushed harvest cheddar sun chips left over from my sons lunch. They went crazy![​IMG]

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Chickens love cottage cheese too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by