1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chefs on BYC?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by m.kitchengirl, Sep 26, 2011.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    So, how many chefs are there here in BYCville?

I have wondered for a while, and bumped into one today in a forum. Now I need to know... how many of us are there?

I am a chef with 15 years experience. I began working at a place that catered to people with specialized diets - food allergies, dietary restrictions, etc - and we also did whole foods, organic and free range meats, etc.
    I went to culinary school after about 8 years in the industry, and did fine dining for 5 years after that. I began working exclusively with local foods 3 years ago, and finally live somewhere I can raise ducks and chickens.
    I like to bake with duck eggs, and started with layer hens as well. I plan to raise a few next year for meat as well, but wanted to make it through a Maine winter with a small flock before I get in too deep.
    I also keep a kitchen garden for myself, but since I moved in June it is small this year. I am saving lots of seeds for next year, and getting more plots ready this week for next season.

I thought I would like this adventure, and I LOVE it. It has enhanced my love of food and cooking 10 fold, and I am more inspired than I have been since culinary school.

I look forward to meeting other chefs on this journey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by